A Seed Saver's Garden

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Youz guyz are weird. Marigolds and petunia smell nice!??

:) Would Calibrachoa be a more interesting challenge?
Modern hybrid petunias, I think, have lost the sweet scent of the South American originals. I grew one from seed called 'Old Fashioned Vining' years ago and while the colors weren't thrilling, the smell was!

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew a bunch of petunias from seed last year, and of the different varieties one really was a show stopper. We had it planted near the road, and people would stop and comment on it. It 'trailed' to the point that it climbed, completely covering a couple of azalea shrubs so I had to trim off several feet of vines--and was incredibly heat and drought tolerant too. The mounds on the left and right side of the photo are 18" tall azaleas, blanketed by the petunia. And that is just one petunia. Park Seed indicates that a 5' spread is typical of this cultivar. Note: many of my petunia tags got mixed up last year, however I am 99% sure that it was Tidal Wave Silver. https://www.swallowtailgardenseeds....tidal-wave-silver-trailing-petunia-seeds.html

Attachments

• IMG_20220821_125103599_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20220821_125103599_HDR~2.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had to go back for more peat plugs, so I did another run around the plant. Not much new, but did find two sort of bronzy peach petunias and a lobelia with an apparent sport in it (I saw blue ones, and pink ones with a white patch, but the package I got seemed to be the only blue one with a white patch, and since the rest of the pack is pale bluish white, I think it's a mutation.

Ironically, I also finally found my peas, now that it's too late to plant them. The weather NOW would be perfectly fine for peas, but I know that this unseasonable cold wave isn't going to last forever, and that, the moment it does stop and the temperatures shoot up, any and all peas planted with wither and die almost instantly (or, at least, would get stuck in vegetative mode and never make flowers.) And since I NEED to get seed back to keep these peas going, it seems definitely better to wait until next year.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Plant your peas in the Fall!
Use you indoor seed starting setup and plan to transplant. MINE is in my basement and will be cave temperature in July.
I am still gonna throw a few in the ground this week, just to see.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Iron leaf seeds are coming. You never could have convinced me that a cold snap would have produced this response but then it was a hard snap for us and there are so many of these pods now.
20230502_160030.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Plant your peas in the Fall!
Use you indoor seed starting setup and plan to transplant. MINE is in my basement and will be cave temperature in July.
I am still gonna throw a few in the ground this week, just to see.

i don't usually get a very good pea crop from later plantings compared to the first round.

i think now is a good enough time to plant peas. i'm a few weeks later than the previous few years.

some do give up early but there are other varieties i've found that will grow for me into August. i just have to keep an eye out for chipmunk raids but at least now i know when the raiding might start and can pick them earlier to finish drying inside.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Iron leaf seeds are coming. You never could have convinced me that a cold snap would have produced this response but then it was a hard snap for us and there are so many of these pods now.View attachment 56900
Is this the plant that also goes by the name 'Cast Iron Plant' and is often grow as a houseplant?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i don't usually get a very good pea crop from later plantings compared to the first round.

i think now is a good enough time to plant peas. i'm a few weeks later than the previous few years.

some do give up early but there are other varieties i've found that will grow for me into August. i just have to keep an eye out for chipmunk raids but at least now i know when the raiding might start and can pick them earlier to finish drying inside.
I really wonder what clever tricks there might be to keep mini marauders at bay. There's got to be something out there, besides a cat. I've read about cayenne, but they probably don't groom their feet much.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really wonder what clever tricks there might be to keep mini marauders at bay. There's got to be something out there, besides a cat. I've read about cayenne, but they probably don't groom their feet much.

rat traps and air rifle are what i end up using if the population starts to get too large. we can easily get overrun if i don't. things have improved quite a lot since i reduced habitat for them by getting rid of the old rotting pallets that were over a drainage ditch. i'd like to continue getting rid of more habitat but am not able to do that currently.

Latest posts