A Seed Saver's Garden

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
May I see a picture of this please? 🧐 My pea trellising efforts were totally inadequate this year.
Yes ma'am, here's a photo dump. Sorry @meadow my device ONLY takes good photos with bright sun and the clouds have been weaving back and forth all day, I didn't get lucky with my timing. :confused:

This is Novella, it's probably 3 by 4 feet.
20220617_113853_resized.jpg

'Mega' peas
20220617_113913_resized.jpg

A few of the twigs still have some leaf bits but the'll blow off eventually.
20220617_121813_resized.jpg

Both beds; they'll grow up into the sticks as a solid mass and very sturdy. The multiple holdings the tendrils have on the various branches really works well to stabilize the whole planting. This of course wouldn't be practical in a huge area, but it really works well for me since I don't have much space and I want to both eat the peas as well save lots of their seeds. I need to maximize production, and after all the many supports I've tried this is the best one for that. I find pea production is very much related to how well supported the peas think their kids will be, and if they see only a mediocre future that's how they produce.
20220617_121924_resized.jpg

Ground shot
20220617_121901_resized.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Interesting. How big a block do you go for? My concern would be that it might be more difficult to get to the pods in the centre of the block for picking?
I think my biggest block is about 5 by 3 feet, roundabout. When I first tried this method I wondered the same thing since it would seem that the solid growth would prevent inner picking. Turns out it really isn't much different than picking from raspberry bushes or currant bushes, you just reach in and the peas are easily available. But I don't think I would make a block deeper than 3 or 4 feet for that reason. It also is very time consuming to gather the twigs and strip them. The output is so improved from this method though that I find it worth the effort for this height of pea.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had a nice surprise today while weeding, my first grass peas (cicerchia beans) have blossoms. I forgot that they have a charming little flower. Such a different plant type, very unlike any other legume I've tried though the flowers are distinctly pea like. I'm going to try and support them, though they don't seem to have much tendrils. Not sure the best way to do that, if it's possible.
20220617_140527_resized.jpg
20220617_140449_resized.jpg
20220617_140404_resized.jpg
20220617_140600_resized.jpg

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes ma'am, here's a photo dump. Sorry @meadow my device ONLY takes good photos with bright sun and the clouds have been weaving back and forth all day, I didn't get lucky with my timing. :confused:

This is Novella, it's probably 3 by 4 feet.
View attachment 49594

'Mega' peas
View attachment 49595

A few of the twigs still have some leaf bits but the'll blow off eventually.
View attachment 49596

Both beds; they'll grow up into the sticks as a solid mass and very sturdy. The multiple holdings the tendrils have on the various branches really works well to stabilize the whole planting. This of course wouldn't be practical in a huge area, but it really works well for me since I don't have much space and I want to both eat the peas as well save lots of their seeds. I need to maximize production, and after all the many supports I've tried this is the best one for that. I find pea production is very much related to how well supported the peas think their kids will be, and if they see only a mediocre future that's how they produce.
View attachment 49597

Ground shot
View attachment 49598
Thank you so much for the photos, @heirloomgal!! What a good idea. I'm taking notes so I'll remember this for next year!!

I wish now that I'd used this method for Zeedman's Mesa peas. They are really good about holding each other up, but they've far exceeded the expected height and now the entire (weighty) mass is listing precariously to one side. I put up a free-standing wire 'pea trellis' a couple of weeks ago (with rebar as a supporting 'post'), but it does not look to be sufficient. I think I'd better ask DH to drive in a t-post and put up a proper cattle panel!

Your garden is lovely! 🥰

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Peonies are blooming. Such a hardy, reliable perennial flower. I really love the highly perfumed ones.
20220621_175323_resized.jpg

This is the best stand of these lilies I've had since planting them. I can't actually recall them blooming before, since they are always attacked by this little red beetle bug, very persistent little creatures. Curious what the colour will be.
20220621_182604_resized.jpg

'Liso Calcutta' gherkins, inspired by @Zeedman's appreciation for them. I lost a lot of these seedlings to the long cool wet spell of late May, early June & these are the only survivors. But they seem to have caught on and are growing much more perceptibly. Not sure yet if I need to give them something to climb or let them sprawl out of the tub. Excited to get seed for this one.
20220621_181557_resized.jpg

Decided at the last minute to give Mouse Melons another spin. I don't know why, past the teeny stage they don't taste that great, but I do have a weak spot for anything that can be this productive without pampering. As teeny little 'melons' they do make a nice crunch in a salad. The spells of heat have caused some pretty rampant growth, considering it sat for quite a while not moving.
20220621_181550_resized.jpg

Even the buds are white!
20220621_181138_resized.jpg

First little 'Petch Siam' eggplants are rolling in. Looks like I'll have to put the eggplants outside eventually, as growing under cover seems to be drawing pests to them.
20220621_180900_resized.jpg

'Casper' baby eggplant. First time I grow this variety.
20220621_180817_resized.jpg

I so LOVE these flowers! 'Lemon Gem' marigolds, and my goodness the smell of the foliage is heavenly. I don't think I'll ever go without these moving forward. So incredibly aromatic, I've not grown anything like these before. Technically I could be letting them go to seed at this point, but I'm so enjoying the smell that I am still deadheading them.
20220621_181710_resized.jpg

Nicotiana plants are doing well, some bug damage, but no too bad. I'm really hoping for a big show with them - the full 5 or 6 feet. They aren't getting full sun where I put them so I may get less. I'm hopeful though! :fl
20220621_175220_resized.jpg

First 'Inca Red Berry' pepper! Yay!
20220621_181010_resized.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
'Liso Calcutta' gherkins, inspired by @Zeedman's appreciation for them. I lost a lot of these seedlings to the long cool wet spell of late May, early June & these are the only survivors. But they seem to have caught on and are growing much more perceptibly. Not sure yet if I need to give them something to climb or let them sprawl out of the tub. Excited to get seed for this one.
20220621_181557_resized.jpg
I doubt the vines can be trained to climb, their tendrils are too small. I let them sprawl like watermelons. The vines will root to the ground at the nodes... so tightly that I was able to mow over them to knock down a weed outbreak, with only minimal damage.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
'Victoria Louise' poppies are in bloom, though the high heat is quickly expiring them. It'll be a matter of days for them this year. 🕰️

20220623_111210_resized.jpg

The lowly catmint. 🐱 A humble flower, but it fills up empty spots in the flower gardens quickly, is very cold hardy and seldom needs water. It always needs cutting back which is a pain, but the bees are crazy for it (and thus stay away from my veggie flowers!) and it divides so well. Smells nice too.
20220623_115605_resized.jpg
20220623_115317_resized.jpg

The 'Purple Rat Tail' radishes are starting to bloom! Won't be long now for pods! Yum!
20220623_112414_resized.jpg

This year the meadowfoam is the largest I've ever seen it, the effect of the heavy rains I imagine. Such delicate flower blossoms.
20220623_111856_resized.jpg

Armeria is blooming. Another humble flower but it has it's own kind of charm. It is neat and tidy and doesn't seem to need any kind of care.
20220621_175640_resized_1.jpg

Muppet peonies 🤡
20220621_175523_resized.jpg

Claytonia is approaching a harvest size, but thus far, I detect zero molecules of flavour! lol
20220618_130242_resized.jpg

I know the wisdom is that lettuce is a cool weather crop, and no doubt there is some truth to that, but I guess the hitch is what is meant by 'cool weather'. The cool weather we had caused my lettuces to stall totally, and it is only since we've been getting blasted with hot weather that they are finally growing. My goodness they took their sweet time this season. The burgundy splashes in the Jester lettuce contain quercetin, which is part of why I'm growing this variety. I'm not partial to the taste of pure red lettuces so this is my compromise. If I succeed collecting seeds for the various lettuce types this year I think I'm going to experiment even more next year. SO many lettuce varieties out there! 🐷🐷🐷 With how much we love spring roll lettuce wraps I could grow a garden full of lettuce just to support the habit.
20220623_112021_resized.jpg

An unknown flower to me, can be a bit dominant, but it's always healthy and a profuse bloomer. There is a nice stand of it growing next to my compost garden.
20220623_120002_resized.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think the yellow flower is yellow loosestrife. we used to have a varigated version of that plant. the same bugs that liked that also like the moneywort.

Latest posts