A Seed Saver's Garden

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was thinking of tumbleweed when I wrote that, since it was one of the first plants that I learned was imported to the continent. I always thought they were just a part of the south's flora, being such a fixture of cowboy flicks. The I read about 'Canada Thistle' which isn't from Canada, so such a strange name. Daisies, another one that surprised me.

I meant to say the buds are so cute, not the plant. I remember the Caterpillar plant foliage - not attractive at all. Looks like a roadside weed.
Kochia (tumbleweed) is the number one thing I DONT MISS about living down in America, or anywhere this vile plant grows. We had it in Texas & N. Dakota and every spring you’d want to claw your eyes out due to it’s allergic itch! I hadn’t thought about it for a long time but just the mention of the name😳 gives me another thing to be thankful for this morning!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Everybody has their own weed nemesis!
I was encouraged watching a gardening program where a couple took a nice rural property--Kentucky?, maybe North Carolina?--and made it a showpiece. They had some kind of non native water weed and managed and are managing to almost eridicate.
Gotta be REALLY HARD to get rid of a plant that is growing in one of your ponds!
Good luck everyone, in your weed battles! :hugs

jbrobin09

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We finally got the *mouse* in the house, though it turned out to be a vole. No wonder he was so bad at staying out of sight. Feel much better now about the seeds' safety, but I guess voles don't really eat seeds anyway. He did eat a significant portion of a small throw rug under the couch though.

All my pepper seed for 2024 are here, happy dance. So many nifty names in this bunch, really interesting combinations of letters 🤨 which I'll never likely pronounce. I hope there are gems lurking in that pile of little envelopes. I'm posting the list in case anyone has grown some of them and has experience/opinions on them? Pretty soon we'll all be dreaming of new seeds for 2024...

With so many new ones to try I just might be able to finally have the resolve to only grow one plant of each variety.
  • Broom
  • Chile de Onza
  • Cacho Black
  • Cuzquerio
  • Dulce Italiano
  • Dulce De Espagna
  • Fuszer Csipus
  • Hatvani Eros
  • Kapia Paprika
  • Naso Di Cane
  • Piluca
  • Pimento Chorizo
  • Pimento Cristal
  • Portokalova Fifironka
  • Santa Lucia Red Seasoning
  • Sulu Adana
  • Tollis Sweet
  • Trilop Uchburum Bider
  • Sonoma
  • Datil Sweet
  • Gypsy
  • Ruby King
  • Sweet Melrose
  • Pl 427-291
  • Ancient Sweet Red
  • Sweet Red Bell
  • Early Sweet Red Bell
  • Aleppo
  • Piquillo de Lodosa
  • Large Sweet Antigua
  • Targu Mures
  • Kari Sitanana
  • Aji Monagre
  • Bola
  • Corazon
  • Dolmalik
  • Ferenc Tender
  • Florines
  • Grueso De Plaza
  • Kampanaki
  • Morron de Fabrica
  • Numex Halloween
  • Nora
  • Nocturne
  • Verato
  • Yaki Blue Fawn
  • Pimento Pera Dulce
  • Portugese Goat Heart
  • Santa Lucia Sweet
  • Tobago Season
  • Pepperoncini Lombardi
  • Yesil Tatli
  • Turkischer Gewuir Papricka
  • Semorah Early Sweet
  • Trontarolo
  • Urfa Bider
  • Piquillo
  • Jalapeno Orange SHort
  • Chile Black
  • Pimento Picon
  • Manganji
  • Valentine's Day Purple Pepper
I was just browsing (procrastinating on some boring work I have to do, actually) and came across your list. I must have 30 varieties of peppers in my seed box and not a single one in common with yours! It amazes me how many different varieties are actually out there compared to a typical seed catalogue’s offerings.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everybody has their own weed nemesis!
I was encouraged watching a gardening program where a couple took a nice rural property--Kentucky?, maybe North Carolina?--and made it a showpiece. They had some kind of non native water weed and managed and are managing to almost eridicate.
Gotta be REALLY HARD to get rid of a plant that is growing in one of your ponds!
Good luck everyone, in your weed battles! :hugs
I'm pretty sure that somewhere on the Hudson (or, at least, somewhere that flows into the Hudson), there must be a big patch of European Water Caltrop/Chestnut (Trapa natans) since I have seen the pods wash up on the beach there sometimes. Not that they don't look pretty interesting, but they are called "caltrops" for a reason, and I am sure there are many along the river who's private beach excursions have been made much less pleasant by the presence of those pods vis a vis the bottoms of their feet.

Beanmad Nanna

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hip hip hooray, seeds arrived View attachment 62311
I never make butter tarts, maybe once every 2 or 3 years. But I made some today to celebrate that special moment of writing down next years grow out list. 🥰
View attachment 62312
Hip Hip Hooray indeed
my german seed order arrived this morning - it is so exciting.

Good reason to celebrate

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Kochia (tumbleweed) is the number one thing I DONT MISS about living down in America, or anywhere this vile plant grows. We had it in Texas & N. Dakota and every spring you’d want to claw your eyes out due to it’s allergic itch! I hadn’t thought about it for a long time but just the mention of the name😳 gives me another thing to be thankful for this morning!
:lol: I had no idea that those 'cowboy' plants were so awful!? I thought they were just like tangles of inert grass rolling by. Wow, I learn something new every day here!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was just browsing (procrastinating on some boring work I have to do, actually) and came across your list. I must have 30 varieties of peppers in my seed box and not a single one in common with yours! It amazes me how many different varieties are actually out there compared to a typical seed catalogue’s offerings.
Beware of Atlantic Pepper Seeds! It's like a GIANT hole and you can fall in and get lost down there! 🤣

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Hip Hip Hooray indeed
my german seed order arrived this morning - it is so exciting.

Good reason to celebrate
I got sucked into seeds specials. I ordered shallot samples and the packaging is so cute!! Little paper sacks with holes, a label on the outside, and folded/stapled down.
Really, a lot like a birthday gift.

Latest posts