A Suggestion of Frost

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Weather Service can't seem to make up it's mind yet if Thursday or Friday morning will be colder.

Mid-30's ... !

If frost does take out the warm-season plants, it will be a disappointment since the 8-14 day forecast has this neck of the woods in the "above normal temperatures." (Link) That should mean no real chance of freezing before the end of the month.

Of course, there will be an effort to save one garden or the other. Protection from a light frost can be had as easily as turning on the sprinklers but I can't be 2 places at once. Those 2 mornings are kinda okay for frost mitigation duty.

Steve
hating the idea of bringing in green tomatoes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suppose you would enjoy tomorrow's high of 65°, @baymule ?

Back up to 80° by Sunday ... then, "above normal."

I need something to prepare me for all this ... I'll try a nice cup of chamomile and spearmint tea.

Steve
beer would put me to sleep

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quit it! Quit it NOW! No frost! I'm not ready! Crops aren't ready, now I'll read of no more frost!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I came here to see if it was true. I knew digitS would know. Are you going to bring in the green tomatoes? I was going to cover with plastic, but they are on a fence this year and kind of tall. I am bringing in all of my peppers and I picked all of the cucumbers and squash tonight and put basil and parsley in the dehydrator. The pole beans are too tall. I will lose them. :( I have been bringing in 2 or 3 pounds of beans a day. It has been amazing!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will be in the big veggie garden at sunrise both on Thursday and Friday. The Weather Service now says that Friday morning will be colder.

Turning on the sprinklers is all I'm planning on. After a very warm summer, it just seems that I should not be where I'm at all of a sudden. And, I don't think I am ...

My beefsteak tomatoes are in their sprawl and down against what I like to think of as their rock mulch. It would have to be pretty severe to damage them. The cukes and zuks have had a good run. Big harvest of the last sweet corn planting just came off. I do have a bed of bush beans that was sown mid-July where I've only seen 1 bean ready to pick.

Meanwhile, the dahlias ...

Steve