A Suggestion of Frost

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
ummm....i'm thinking that is Mt Washington area and knowing the weather in that area right now they are getting frosty morns. next weekend is the Highland games up in Lincoln, NH and as much as i'd like to go this year the weather guys are predicting night time temps in the mid 30s. so, just in time to start pulling lots of warm season veggies and covering up with agribon to keep the frost at bay from some of the tender stuff that can take some of the cold.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
In spite of covering the tomatoes with sheets last night I lost them all. :(

There is a pepper plant that had some serious tomato sprawl over it that survived. I just got home and am taking a tiny break, then I'm going out and starting the cleanup. At least the sun is shining and it's a beautiful day.
Makes it less depressing to cleanup up frost carnage than when it's rainy and gloomy.
So sorry!

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
First official frost last night. It wasn't a hard freeze, so I'm hoping the hoop house will be fine, although things are definitely winding down this time of year.
I brought in much of the winter squash (also in the hoop house), once I discovered the mice were starting on it....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So sorry!

Actually after starting on the cleanup I found that the plant parts under the top mess were still green. So I just cut away the black, which was about 75% of the plant and am hoping that the remaining leaves have enough energy to keep the tomatoes remaining on them in a ripening mode.

I'm also covering every night, frost or not, with BLANKETS!
So take that fall! You haven't beat me out of every tomato yet!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
And the weather is back to beautiful and warm, we should get a couple more weeks of growing season, woohoo! So glad its warm, i'm off to yellowstone early tomorrow AM, looking forward to a gorgeous week there getting lots of pictures!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually after starting on the cleanup I found that the plant parts under the top mess were still green. So I just cut away the black, which was about 75% of the plant and am hoping that the remaining leaves have enough energy to keep the tomatoes remaining on them in a ripening mode.

I'm also covering every night, frost or not, with BLANKETS!
So take that fall! You haven't beat me out of every tomato yet!

That is good news! I am sorry I brought in the green ones from the other yard because they would have turned red outside, but they are slowly turning in the house. They are big pink brandywine.

Latest posts