Aaah...The signs of spring

gudrin

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The temps are getting higher, the snow is melting. How many other signs of spring can I find?

I can't park my car in my usual spot because it's under water.

My poor dogs are looking for high ground to get away from the water FLOWING through their area.

One of the cats makes a beeline for the door any time it's open.

The geese are back!

The road is really greasy and tough to drive.

So many robins around!

My husband checks the sump basin every day to see if we need to turn on the pump again.

My daughter just had her birthday. :)

I'm incredibly antsy to get out and work in the dirt, which right now is mud.

I received two mineral tubs to use as compost bins and I want to get at them with a drill to provide them drainage!

I had to get out my rubber boots to accomplish outdoor chores.

So, how do you tell spring is finally on its way?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, as you know my daughter just had her birthday too! (Gosh they get so huge so fast!!!)

Our geese are finally LEAVING (its a southern thing)

The robins are wrestling with the ducks for worms

My tulips are leaves and shoots and blooms are a week away at most

The almond, peach and pear trees in the neighborhood are in bloom (not to mention the dogwoods are covered in buds!)

We got to plant the dormant blueberry bushes and grape vine just in time

Most of all..... Everything is starting to turn yellow/green from the pollen (The truely hated thing about southern living, the yellow month!)

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hummmmm let see...
day time temps above freezing....
there is mud every where...
the yard is soggy and squishy when I walk on it..
the snow is receding like the glasiers only on a smaller scale... snow mounds were 7-9 foot tall...now they are 2-4 ft tall...
my chicks are finding grass shoots...t
he squirells are fighting for nest trees...
the cardnials are calling for mates...
the fair weather walkers are about
Motorcycles

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was able to plant some veggies yesterday! I put out broccoli, cauliflower and spinach in some cold frames. Although there are no temps below freezing in the 10 day, so maybe they'll make it without help (although March is pretty temperamental around here!).

The grass is getting green & the clover is back.

There are a TON more birds around.

:tools

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It has been some years since I have lived in one place long enough to know of feel when spring is here. I have been in Southern Louisiana for 6 months and am still wondering if winter will ever get here ( I lived in Montana the last two years). I don't think that two week cold snap counts.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Took the dogs for a walk in the orchard, and the brownish-black Newfie started digging a hole. This hole rapidly turned into a mud pit. Then she tackled the lovely angelic white Pyrenees, making him look like something from the Black Lagoon. It was a beautiful tackle, causing them both to roll over a few times--the sort of tackle that many Big Ten coaches only dream of their teams executing on national television. Less beautiful when it's two 100+ lb. double-coated dogs. Then they tracked mud all over the house and refused to go quietly to the bathroom, necessitating a lot of cusswords, dragging and screaming. :rant When they were finally clean, after I had spent another couple hours mopping the house with gallons of Murphy's Oil Soap. After everything had been towel-dried and sorta clean and I had changed into clean pajamas...then and only then did DH come home from work. :barnie It's like he's got a sixth sense of when to work late.

Oh, and the hens are laying six eggs/day. Time to make sponge cakes, pasta, angel food cakes, quiche, egg salad, deviled eggs, omelets, fried eggs on a bagel, egg custard, hardboiled...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

Oh husband are wonderful those kinds of things!

However, you are right! I noticed an increase in egg production too. We are now getting 3 eggs a day, and with 1 broody hen that's awesome!!! :D

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
All of my girls are laying too! I'm getting 7 and 8 eggs a day. Ideal Poultry called today and my 20 red broilers will be shipped on the 30th along with my blue Cochin, partridge Cochin, speckled Sussex and wyandotte!!! :weee

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The redbuds are blooming(our state tree :D )
The daffodils, peach tree, and Plox are blooming.
The tulips are budding.
The birds are out full force.
I can hear the woodpeckers pecking again.
Some of the other trees around are beginning to leaf out.
Egg production is up for me too! :D
Wasps are out :(
Bee's are out :)
The feeds stores are selling chicks again.
It's getting warmer more often!!