Addiction

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm right in the asylum with y'all. I have a large igloo ice chest full of seeds. Maybe 300ish varieties of tomatoes alone. I figure that's pretty small since there's at least 30,000 varieties. At least that's how I look at it. Problem is, most My seed is at least 7 years old.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey ,gardeners need seed lol. I was just going through some of our seeds today, of which we have plenty. Then I placed a large order to Sandhill, hoping to use them this year. I could to if I had a garden 10 times the size of the one we have. No problem here though, pretty sure we will survive our garden addictions.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was very vicious on my seed packets a couple of weeks ago. Anything older than 3 years got opened, put in a jar, and was tossed around our acreage. They went thru too many cold winters and then over 100 degrees in the storage pods to be worth fooling with.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was very vicious on my seed packets a couple of weeks ago. Anything older than 3 years got opened, put in a jar, and was tossed around our acreage. They went thru too many cold winters and then over 100 degrees in the storage pods to be worth fooling with.

a few years ago i took all of my old seeds and scattered them on a place i'd just cleared of an invasive grass. i knew it was likely that most of them would not grow but some did. next year i had some lettuces, beets, fennel, carrots, etc. from that space, but the bunnies and deer ate them long before i got much. mostly i just wanted it to be covered with something besides grass. the few dill plants that grew in there survived being munched on and dropped plenty of seeds. i'll be going through the whole area again this season sometime, will be interesting to see what survives.

right now, everything is under a few feet of snow, sleeping until warmer weather. :)

seed collecting is an addiction most of us undertstand. for me it is surely related to the beach combing for interesting rocks and shells, all those colors, shapes and textures...

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've tossed more than your supply of seeds last fall. I probably have still more than your bed can hold that didn't get tossed. Normal and natural, IMHO. Unless you consider you're addicted to food and beauty as well as seeds? If it IS an addiction, you are in the best of company.

Remember, you're getting mental advice from someone who's spouse said more than once that, " One of everything is a GOOD START." That's not just flowers and veggies but shrubs, trees, and vines as well. Not, not, not an addiction! Right, friends?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
let me think about where i've ordered from....so far.....
Baker's Creek
Annie's Heirlooms
Johnny's Seeds-ordered last weekend & had the by Wednesday.
FedCo (still need to put in for grafting supplies, but that is separate from their seeds)
Territorial just arrived today, ordered Wednesday & got the email Friday they had shipped them.
few hours ago put in an order with Everwilde Seeds. this is a new one for me this year so will have to see if they make the grade for service & good seeds.
also picked up some seeds from the local greenhouse.

hope i'm done ordering this year for seeds. i had to replace mostly carrots that did well last year. i also want to try my new gardening tool i bought just before Christmas, a 5 row pinpoint seeder. this should be great to use with carrots, beets, radishes, onions and leeks. it should also work well for leaf lettuce and if i modify the dispensing wheels i could use it for the other types of lettuce.

:hide dh keeps telling me i have enough seeds for this year, but.....he's the one who said 'we' should plant this & that! so effectively i'm planting for 2 this year!!! (now, if he would actually get his butt out to the garden & help me like he said he would this year..& every year)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
So far haven't ordered much. Just a few exotic odds and ends from Trade Winds Fruit.

Might do a Ricter's Seed Zoo order, but there doesn't seem to be anything new there and I think I have all of the types of cowpeas and corn they sell I need for this year (well, actually I'm probably low on the corn, but since Volta white is an extreme long shot for me anyway, it's hard to justify getting more until I can prove it will grow here.

Am interested in that new orange Japanese watermelon Baker Creek is offering, but ordering one packet of seed seems a little silly. Plus watermelons are a real long shot for me too.

Latest posts