Addiction

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everwilde is completely new to me, @Chickie'sMomaInNH ! I looked at a few things and their location in Wisconsin - the prices seem good.

I have just spent the entire day except for a walk, working on seed orders off the seed inventory and through a stack of catalogs.

A company once took 3 weeks to ship an order to me. They are long-established and have been a good source for many years but something went wrong that year. Three weeks from today is just about time for a first sowing of lots of starts. Two weeks would be better for a few things but I nearly always do a second sowing and some seed is available locally. But, you see, I have cut ordering as close as I dare.

All the orders should be finished to go out tomorrow. I may need to drag one more company in for somethings forgotten or order again from one of the following ... I don't like doing that but I doubt if they are aware enuf of me to know how many times I'm ordering ;).

Jordan Seed was the source for onion seed that is already here with some in soil in flats. Harris continues to play a big role from what I used to ask of them, 10 or so years ago. Johnny's and Jung's will be important but less than years ago. I don't really know why buying habits have shifted.

I like that I can find a fair amount from Fedco. They seem to always have honest value.

Osborne Seed isn't all that far away and became an important source not all that long ago. Usually, I'm buying onion seed plus from them. We just need the "plus," this year.

Restoration Seeds is my new source. The prices aren't wonderful but they have some things that I want that are difficult to find. Even with a big garden, there are several things that I have been growing for years and for which I haven't come up with alternatives. I consider that a flaw in my gardening but it's a little difficult to correct because some crops take up a lot of room and I don't really want to trial 2 or 3 different ones in a single growing season. But, varieties become obsolete and I have gotten myself in trouble being a stick in the mud and not adventuring beyond the tried and true. Of course, finding those has contributed enormously to my gardening success.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I was very vicious on my seed packets a couple of weeks ago. Anything older than 3 years got opened, put in a jar, and was tossed around our acreage. They went thru too many cold winters and then over 100 degrees in the storage pods to be worth fooling with.
That's where I am this year. Clear out what I have saved, plant what sprouts and toss the rest. I put some strawberry seeds in a paper towel and left them in a small ziploc bag for 3 weeks. NO GERMINATION! toss
The only seeds that I will give special care are some 30yo tomato seeds from my now gone grandfather's garden. I will give them a couple of weeks of special care this spring. I intend to paper towel them to get any sprouting, then I will really baby them. I still have about 15 seeds left and when I started them several years ago they Did sprout, but I let them dry out.
If I can get one to grow I will be able to save the seeds from it for the future.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember, you're getting mental advice from someone who's spouse said more than once that, " One of everything is a GOOD START." That's not just flowers and veggies but shrubs, trees, and vines as well. Not, not, not an addiction! Right, friends?

i see no problem here... :) move along... nothing to fret about... :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still agonizing last night over seed orders.

It's a little painful to make changes in seed sources. Stokes used to be such an important part of things. Perhaps because it is a Canadian company, there was a fair amount of difference in its offerings. It must have been last year that the catalog changed, probably as an attempt to make it more readable.

Jung's has been a source of frustration, it's buying up of other seed companies years ago was a little breathtaking! But then, the offerings from those sources changed very little. The parent company set up a website where we could order from the group in a single shipment. They did away with that, recently. I wonder how multiple shipping costs from the same warehouse can be justified.

Seeds 'n' Such. I'm so confused ... a limited but nearly the same line-up of products, even the pictures are often (always) the same as Jung's. There must be a relationship there ... shucks, Seeds 'n' Such has all the varieties for me that were spread between 3 Jung's 2018 catalogs. It looks like I will take the leap and just order from that single source. If all this is just a game that Jung's is playing ~ they are starting to tic me off !

Johnny's, your catalog and offerings are wonderful! But, are you gonna price yourself right outta the market?

Steve
Strange fascination, fascinating me
Changes are taking the pace
I'm going through

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strange) ~ D Bowie (click, & click)

:D

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@digitS'

I order from The Sample Seed Shop. The company is owned by a lady named Remy. I've dealt with Remy a lot over the years and she's like and old friend. I'm new here and I'm not sure if links to businesses are ok, so just google.

Also, I thought I'm come back and edit post. I don't order from any of the companies you listed. I thought I list some other companies you might want to take a gander at.

Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center
Victory Seeds
Sand hill Preservation
Clear Creek Seeds
SESE
Renee's Garden Seeds
Territorial seed company
High Mowing Seeds
Baker Creek

Last edited: