Advice needed on container planting...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those firecrackers look fun, thistle! When it finally warms up, I will drag my fountain out- and decide! Still snowing and in the 30's today...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, I have to check that. There were openings so the water could drip down from the top- but I think I will need some drainage holes on the bottoms of the sections. Must remember before I fill with dirt!

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
What an idea! We have a fountain out front, but with the drought restrictions, its not filled. It has rain water in it along with mosquito larve right now. I could plant something in it, but what would be deer resistant? Ummmm - nothing will be deer resistant this year cus there is just not enough food for them this year.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
As you said, probably nothing is safe in a drought, but you could try different thymes, lambs ears, allyssum, salvias ,....umm...veronica - there are a few creeping varieties of those,....forget-me-nots, dianthus...

What I'd do is also go to a nursery (or online) and buy a RTU bottle of a mint based deer repellent. Under $10 bucks and saves a lot of aggravation and fist shaking at hungry deer.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh!!! I love that fountain! Do you think the deer would eat succulents? They wouldn't need much water...

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy Its a smoke tree. I didn't get to trim it this winter so its kinda leggy on top. I'll take a pic when its in full bloom.

I have 5 seedlings of them growing in pots on the side yard. I hope to get $30 for each at the Memorial garage sale here in the neighborhood. They are about 4 ft tall now. That tree loves my front yard.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
D******* deer ate my portulaca last late summer. They have not eaten my sedum in the front sitting area. I'll give that a try. Better than an empty fountain....

I bought the fountain off of Craigslist about 4 years ago for our last place. It was a bear to move it here and so now its permanently installed at this home.

Latest posts