Advise needed on planting potatoes in plastic 55 gallon drums

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got my second potato bucket all ready and the ground amended with leaves and fertilizer..

no I am waiting on the potatoes to dry a bit..

*waiting .. waiting... waiting...* boy this is hard... I want to just throw them in ...

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Lining bottom with comfrey leaves is supposed to provide good nutritious start for potatoes. I have some interesting directions printed up at home (where I am not), but it's all online somewhere (and then you can get inspired about comfrey :lol: ).

the-metal-peddler

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:barnie I hate the snow!!!!

I guess waiting for my seeds is a good thing.

Also working on my tractor getting it ready to start working next month. I have veggie seeds in my grow room now, onions, peppers, and tomatoes.

It's my hope to have my taters in the baskets mid/late april. Another neat thing about basket growing is you can cover them pretty easy to protect them from frost. :thumbsup

Purchased 25 hot caps last year just to try them out. I covered 10 corn, 10 tomato, and 5 pepper plants with them. I planted those 3 weeks earlier than I would have normally, and they work!!! :ya So I bought several hundred this year.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
the-metal-peddler said:
:barnie I hate the snow!!!!

I guess waiting for my seeds is a good thing.

Also working on my tractor getting it ready to start working next month. I have veggie seeds in my grow room now, onions, peppers, and tomatoes.

It's my hope to have my taters in the baskets mid/late april. Another neat thing about basket growing is you can cover them pretty easy to protect them from frost. :thumbsup

Purchased 25 hot caps last year just to try them out. I covered 10 corn, 10 tomato, and 5 pepper plants with them. I planted those 3 weeks earlier than I would have normally, and they work!!! :ya So I bought several hundred this year.
Please explain what you mean by "hot caps. I am using gallon plastic jugs with the bottoms cut off at cloches over plants. Is it the same thing?

the-metal-peddler

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Please explain what you mean by "hot caps. I am using gallon plastic jugs with the bottoms cut off at cloches over plants. Is it the same thing?
Yes, same idea here.

Milk jugs work great!!!

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
I got my second potato bucket all ready and the ground amended with leaves and fertilizer..

no I am waiting on the potatoes to dry a bit..

*waiting .. waiting... waiting...* boy this is hard... I want to just throw them in ...
ok I have waited 5 days.. can I plant now??? :barnie :lol:

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes. Do you have any extra soil to cover them up with?:lol:

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think I might try this and just leave them in my "hot room" in the garage. If I build a frame to pack with straw and seed potatoes and then put a bottom on it to make it movable do you think that will still grow anything?

Latest posts