Airport

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
About 2 months ago the Portland, Ore. International Airport maintenance manager started to fire airport maintenance workers that he didn't personally like, but didn't hire their replacements. This manager created a hostile work environment so quite a few more workers quit. So, last week the airport management fired him. The next day the airport management hired my son and his National Maintence firm to solve the airport maintenance issues. Son is now inviewing dozens of prospects per day and is on the clip of hiring 2- 4 workers per day. He is in the process of interviewing people to fill the airport maintenance manager position too. When all personell are in place, trained and work is once again running smoothly, the new airport manager will report to my son.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is marginally related, but still...
I hadn't flown for several years, so the increased hustle and bustle of big airports was strange and thought provoking for me.
I was amazed at the number of toilet flushes resulting from one plane landing. The passengers file off the plane, into the nearest bathrooms. Constant flushing. Imagine how many times this happens in a day, times how many terminals there are in a major airport.
I'm not a plumber, but the statistics are staggering.
And I have to say, the three airports I visited were pretty darn clean.
Thanks, Bob!:)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our little county airport gets more money to fight terrorism then ny and nj major airports combined. Westchester airport is where President, United Nations and CEO all fly into when coming to Ny

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The responses have been a little off-topic, altho I suspect that @so lucky was flying in and out of Portland airport, recently.

When I was young, I enjoyed flying. Not only the pilot but the stewardess was an exotic, sophisticated person to me. Passengers were dressed-up on their flights. Remember that time?

I hadn't flown in several years and had grown to not particularly like it when I flew to Twin Cities not all that long ago. It wasn't @ninnymary 's daylong flight, just a few hours sitting in a plane.

Good Heavens! Any more time in that seat and they would have had to carry me off!! It was late winter so I had to fold my 6' & 200# frame into that seat. And, I knew that I would be unstable to get up and move around so I stayed right there ...

By the time the first flight ended, I couldn't pick my cane up off the floor. Another person had to retrieve it for me. I was bent into one position and could neither straighten nor bend any further ..!

Steve :(

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I feel for you. Those seats we were on were darn uncomfortable. Maybe the padding had worn off. My husband suggested I sit on the pillow they gave us. Great idea!

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
A long flight has to be 1st class. Much bigger seats, I always use airmiles to upgrade. Heck since my partner died I have not gone anywhere. The country house is my big get away

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
A long flight has to be 1st class. Much bigger seats, I always use airmiles to upgrade. Heck since my partner died I have not gone anywhere. The country house is my big get away
The planes on long international flights aren't too bad. They are roomier and have head room so you can stand up. Having all those movies to watch also help. The area around the bathrooms are also roomy. I would do stretches while waiting for the toilet, lol.

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our daughter in law , grandson, and granddaughter picked up our son at the airport after working for 17 hours straight yesterday for some R and R and bbqed tri-tip at our house. He has been working 10 to 17 hours per day , 7 days a week now , so dead man walking -- now for some Zzzzzzzs , but the airport is now starting to work like a smooth machine. He still needs to hire a mainenance manager, then train him which is NOT an easy task to find someone with management ,and people skills for the huge task at hand.

Latest posts