Alasguns Hopper Haven

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In an effort to consolidate my ”morning efforts”, i have begun moving the rabbit stuff over from BYH to this thread. Hope some of it is interesting to someone!

Why do we do all this? It’s a simple enough question that will have many good and acceptable answers.

Reflecting on my own situation i’ve come to “my right answer” and am a not surprised by it. I’ve already mentioned, we’re some of them Organic only weirdlings who youd expect to say, “it’s outa Love Man”. But digging deeper i become aware of just how much Love and it’s many levels!

In our world everything supports something else and each element has an important part to play. Micro biologist like to say, “microbes function as team mates with one unlocking the others potential”. Well, if the one cell’ed critters got this figured out there’s probably a lesson in there for us big boys (and girls).

We started with the garden and are slowly getting to where we want to be as “new team mates” join our little circus. Current team mates include the Bee’s, a handsome compost arrangement, a good working knowledge of compost tea, lacto serum, fermented plant extracts etc. with the recently added Rabbitry we will be pretty complete and self sustaining for the most part. Each of the “team mates” require some attention and take time but it’s enjoyable time spent in pursuit of perfection. Some might say we Love what we’re doing and that would be correct. Digging a little deeper though, reveals other levels of Love not noticed by the casual bystander.

You see, my better half has some health issues, as many do and for many years we’ve worked on improving her quality of life using all the good resources we’re aware of. Diet is a huge factor and has gotten the most attention over the years. Take a look in my grocery cart and you’ll see what i mean when i tell you how serious we are about all this!

Our season is short but very capable of producing a lot of good produce, much of which is put up for winter use. Over the years i’ve noticed how giddy i can get when a new team mate comes on board and turns out to be a valuable player. Pondering all this i realize that giddyness is actually rooted in the Love i have for my Wife and the excitement i take from conquering some of the daily challenges we face. For us the “garden season” runs pretty well all year when you take in the edible House plants and the soon to start garden starts. All this keeps a retired guy very busy and thats a good thing too. Shortly the remainder of our “herd animals” will arrive and i cant wait to move into our next chapter which will now include an endless supply or Rabbit poop!

Not wanting to bore you with my incessant rambling, i’m going to bed now. Examine your own situation and ask yourself, “why do i do this”, the answer might put a smile on your face! If so, please share that with the rest of us, we still have time for a couple Rabbit trails before the spring season kicks off.

Good night.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
With the door frame upgrade complete, the pen dividers in place and the floor supports installed, i drained the water system and shut off the heat!
hay and pellet feeders will go in when i pick up on this around the end of next month.
Now im focused on finishing the outside cage which is shop work.

Attachments​

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today was a big day in the rabbitry. The vinyl flooring and trim boards are in, all the misc tools are put away, the nest boxes and other essentials are stored under the poop slide and ahhh, the poop slide! It‘s starting to flow again!

this is looking left and right inside the door. It’s nice to be getting on with this project!

next we have the residents. They’re all purebred Satins. First an otter blue doe, a broken blue buck, a broken black doe and a broken blue doe.

And “chip” a senior, broken blue buck. He was a “gimme” but i admire his charismatic attitude and will use him this year on the does.

once the top 2 tier cages are built and installed and the wall penetrations completed i can hang the outer pen and will be 100% done.

Attachments​

Attachments

• 266CDB8B-3A8C-4DB9-A7DB-6D8BCBB3F6BD.jpeg
    266CDB8B-3A8C-4DB9-A7DB-6D8BCBB3F6BD.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 16C7E7AD-E9C0-4A3F-9727-2C507C558934.jpeg
    16C7E7AD-E9C0-4A3F-9727-2C507C558934.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 1E343CFB-D431-4F2F-910A-16C89E410F18.jpeg
    1E343CFB-D431-4F2F-910A-16C89E410F18.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 211

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Continuing the upgrades:
In the upper tier, i needed a way to deal with the poop without having too much elevation on the pen. This top layer is intended to be for “the inevitable overages” that occur so it didn’t need an elaborate affair.

i found and bought a couple proper sized Duratray’s and fitted an ABS shower drain in a front corner of one. Then raised the other end to promote drainage and made the penetration‘s in the floor and ceiling of the lower cage. The tray was then fastened it to the wall And the joint caulked.

next i’ll mount the cage to the wall, high enough above the tray to allow my squeegee to fit and plumb in a water font.

”Punk” seems to approve so far!

Attachments​

Last

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@AMKuska, thanks for the kind words!

That was pretty easy, these last 4 post are the high points of several months effort over on the neighboring site which i’ll probably frequent less now.

Currently in the rabbitry, Belle had her first litter yesterday and Miriam is due today. Tomorrow is June’s turn then were done with all the hair pulling till June.

Now, out to the garden i go!

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today was a big day in the rabbitry. The vinyl flooring and trim boards are in, all the misc tools are put away, the nest boxes and other essentials are stored under the poop slide and ahhh, the poop slide! It‘s starting to flow again!

this is looking left and right inside the door. It’s nice to be getting on with this project!

next we have the residents. They’re all purebred Satins. First an otter blue doe, a broken blue buck, a broken black doe and a broken blue doe.

And “chip” a senior, broken blue buck. He was a “gimme” but i admire his charismatic attitude and will use him this year on the does.

once the top 2 tier cages are built and installed and the wall penetrations completed i can hang the outer pen and will be 100% done.

Attachments​

Beautiful animals...

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Rhodie Ranch, yes in that exact order!

@heirloom gal, thanks.

Miriam is frantically pulling hair this afternoon so she may deliver this evening.
A quick peek showed me, Belle has 5 or 6 in her nest. For a first timer im real proud of her, her nest looks like she’s been reading the same book’s i have😳; text book perfect!

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A quick look revealed Miriam’s all done!
3 days ago i had 5 rabbits, then a couple days ago that went to 11 and now im at 17, and i still have one more to kindle in a day or so😳
June’s last litter was 8 so i could go from 5 to 25 in the course of a week.

p.s, im enjoying every moment of it too! While some sleep soundly with visions of sugar plums dancing in they’re head, i’ll sleep soundly imagining the sound of copious amounts of rabbit poop flowing down the poop chute!

Last edited:

Latest posts