All American 925 Canner Advice?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been all over craigslist looking for a pressure canner. I finally just posted I was looking for one used, my budget was $50... though an ALL AMERICAN would have been GREAT, but that wasn't in my budget. Someone wrote me and has an All American 925, barely used, only a year old and comes with everything... for $160.

I'm really thinking about splurging!!!

So what should I look for that it is in good condition, should I test it out? How? And is this a good deal, or something I should be weary of?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
sounds like a good deal! DW and I were out last weekend and saw one at a surplus store, It was $289.0 Looked like it would hold maybe 6 quarts. So 160 for a barely used one sounds like a steal. Not sure how to test them, or what all it should have come with. Good luck wrestling with the Decision

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not a bad deal. That model is about 235.00 new. I would want to test it out personally. Make sure the top hasn't been warped. Of course I would also try and talk the price down a bit also. Worst they can do is say no.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am going to go look at it tomorrow. He says he's only used it 4 times to sterilize tools and never used it to actually can.

Apparently, there is no gasket to worry about, its alum to alum seal.

Hubby said I can have it, he's been looking on craigslist for one, and at walmart as an anniversary gift... so to do what ever I want! :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You'll love it. the All American is a top quality canner. That metal to metal seal is great. the rubber gaskets are a pain.
As far as what to look for; first look at the bottom inside and be sure it isn't pitted. That can happen if they sit for a long time with water in them. Check the lid isn't warped by placing it right side up on a level surface. It shouldn't rock. Check the beveled edge on both the bottom and lid to be sure there are no dings. that can happen if they're dropped. Be sure the pressure guage isn't fogged or the glass cracked. If it shows rust or corrosion inside it leaks but replacing it is a simple matter. Ace Hardware carries them among other places or they're easy to find online. If you are allowed to test it, put a couple of inches of water in it and bring it up to 20 pounds. To tighten the top, be sure the space is even all round, then take opposite wing nuts down snug, move to the next set and do the same till they are all snug, then go over them again the same way this time tightening them down tight. Don't get it above 20 pounds or you'll blow the safety. Stay clear of it when you do that in case there is a crack you didn't see. Turn off the heat and let it cool. If you didn't have any serious steam leaks you're good to go. Slight leaks are normal till it is broken in (4 or five uses)

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I started to buy one after seeing the good reviews here... but there are too many choices!

I think I want one that will fit 7 quart jars at once -- six around the outside and one in the middle.

We'll have 500 square feet in raised beds plus fruit trees and bushes elsewhere on the property. I definitely want to can tomatoes and green beans, and probably peaches and other fruit.

Which one do you suggest?

Thanks,
-Wendy

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
I started to buy one after seeing the good reviews here... but there are too many choices!

I think I want one that will fit 7 quart jars at once -- six around the outside and one in the middle.

We'll have 500 square feet in raised beds plus fruit trees and bushes elsewhere on the property. I definitely want to can tomatoes and green beans, and probably peaches and other fruit.

Which one do you suggest?

Thanks,
-Wendy
This one fits 7 quart jars... and its a monster! (This is their medium size one)
http://www.allamerican-chefsdesign.com/Product-Detail.asp?hProduct=35 <--specifics

I didn't realize how HUGE it was until I got it. It really does appear to be in like new condition, no dents, two tiny scratches inside, no rust, no junk... BEAUTIFUL!

I even talked him into $140! This is offically my anniversary gift from my husband since its next week. (Now I gotta think of something big for him. )

What do you think?
14084_img_6532.jpg

I think my stove needs an upgrade! LOL

Anyways, I had to download and print the manual since that he didn't have. But I got 48 pages of great guidance. I'm going to go read some, and then do a test run with some water in it like Hoodat suggested!

Thanks Hoodat, I remembered you saying you ordered one... and I've been wanting one ever since. Didn't think I could afford to do this... but when opportunity knocks... you just gotta open the door and run with it.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is the one I got late last summer... You will love this! Definitely do a few test runs, and really read and understand that booklet. Once you do it a couple times, you will be an old pro! I am counting the days until I can use mine for canned green beans!!!!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh that one is larger than the one we saw.
And you paid half as much! Glad we did not splurge and buy it, Cause I would be really depressed about now. GOOD DEAL!!

Latest posts