All my chickens are gone

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you have ever seen how big a full sized Alaskan Malamute can get that is the equivalent to what we have for coyotes in the North East!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Must be a coyote. So sorry for your loss. My birds are shut into a house every night. That is the only way to keep them safe from the many predators that lurk at night.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We lost several chickens this summer also. Racoons mostly, owls, hawks, and a weasel were the culprits. Now that they are all together in one pen we lock them up at night. When I have them separated for breeding they are more easily attacked. We are working on making things safer for next year.

M.sue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So sorry to read what happened. I recently was reading a thread on BYC and they were talking about the pros & cons of those blinking predator lights. I've been fortunate and haven't lost any of my flock but have been seriously thinking about some. I know we have fox, coyote, minks, hawks, & who knows what else around here for I've seen them. Had coyote prints in my landscaping right in front of the house last winter. Might be something for you to look into.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't know if it was mentioned or not but those blinking lights and any other deterrent are only going to last so long. Security, security, security is really the only way your going to keep them truly safe. Coyotes are highly intelligent, and are adaptable as cockroaches, rats, seagulls. They take chances and will recheck things if the appeal of food is there.

There are cases of coyotes becoming friendly with domestic dogs only to lure them away so the pack can attack and kill them. They are a highly intelligent predator with the ability to reason and the patience to figure out a problem.

If you choose to keep chickens you have to realize your putting temptation out there for them. So you have to take measure to protect them. Well built runs, lock your birds up at night either with a coop door timer, or manually do it yourself. Once they know you've got poultry they will be around. So its up to you to take the measures to keep them safe.

M.sue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
I don't know if it was mentioned or not but those blinking lights and any other deterrent are only going to last so long. Security, security, security is really the only way your going to keep them truly safe. Coyotes are highly intelligent, and are adaptable as cockroaches, rats, seagulls. They take chances and will recheck things if the appeal of food is there.

There are cases of coyotes becoming friendly with domestic dogs only to lure them away so the pack can attack and kill them. They are a highly intelligent predator with the ability to reason and the patience to figure out a problem.

If you choose to keep chickens you have to realize your putting temptation out there for them. So you have to take measure to protect them. Well built runs, lock your birds up at night either with a coop door timer, or manually do it yourself. Once they know you've got poultry they will be around. So its up to you to take the measures to keep them safe.
I do all the above and manually lock them down. I did read where someone posted that they only work for so long, that the predator becomes use to seeing them. I know mine are securely locked down and safe and although we know there are predators I'll continue as usual and keep my fingers crossed. They were just something I was looking into if needed.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did read where someone posted that they only work for so long, that the predator becomes use to seeing them.
That's exactly it and why I would save the $ and put it into keeping them secure. If it was me I'd get a cheap radio and put it on a timer. Every few hours its on for a few hours then its quiet. Doesn't have to be super loud just enough to hear some voices. Put it on talk radio and leave it out where it will stay mostly dry. With it going on and off they won't get used to the "noise" if it was on all the time. And its not dependent on them triggering it to turn on.

AlienChick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I like the radio idea.

We also have 3 LGD's.

They're only puppies right now, but will be good guardians once they're older!

I hate losing livestock to predators. I'm so sorry for your loss.