Amaryllis bulbs

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Last week I went to Walmart looking for an amaryllis bulb in a planter to give my best friend for her birthday and the women in the garden dept. told me they didn't carry them. Yesterday when I was in there I happened to spot 4 really sad looking ones tucked in amongst a bunch of christmas cactus. I didn't get them then since I was in a big hurry, but if they still have them today I'm thinking about grabbing a manager and asking him/her to give me a discount to buy all 4. I really love to watch them bloom at Christmastime. These bulbs were all approx. 1/4 to 1/3 sprouted. My question is, after the blooming season for them is over could I then plant them in the yard? or would I have to store them each year and bring them out each winter?

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They are pretty, mine died in it's pot because nobody watered it after the blooms went away. I'm sure it would be ok outside at least for the sumer though. I'm sure someone knows for sure though.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sgtsheart said:
These bulbs were all approx. 1/4 to 1/3 sprouted. My question is, after the blooming season for them is over could I then plant them in the yard? or would I have to store them each year and bring them out each winter?
My experience with amaryllis is that if the bulb has started throwing up a significant amount of flower bud (worse yet, leaves) before being potted up, it's going to have a tough or even fatal time. If they're discounted I'd take a flier on ones w/just the bud showing, but would not waste my money on any with stalk showing between bud and bulb. Your mileage may vary of course.

You cannot really 'store them each year and bring them out each winter' as they require to grow their foliage on properly after flowering, and this will take at least 10 months-ish. If you do not help them do this, at best they will not bloom again and at worst may well just die.

Treat the amaryllis like a houseplant when the flower fades -- deadhead the spent flowers (I leave the stalk itself standing for the plant to resorb nutrients from, but I don't think you really have to). Bright part-sun windowsill, no freezy drafts, sufficient water. Easy, and really not unattractive in a foliagey way.

Come spring/summer, Amaryllis LOVE being planted into the ground, if you can (otherwise keep up the houseplant routine). My parents in PA do this - bright shade w/moderate water, although it may vary depending on your zone etc. In late summer, lift bulbs when foliage is largely yellowing (actually my mom usually has to lift them green b/c her foliage tends not to want to die back). Store in the dark, checking regularly for a bud appearing and bring out/pot up when it does. I think you need climate-controlled holding facilities or something though if you want to guarantee timing -- certainly my amaryllises have tended to operate on their own calendar when it comes to timing of each year's bloom.

I forget what zone you have to be in to have amaryllis in the ground year round, I a m thinking usda zone 8? Easy to look it up, but I have a sleeping baby on my left arm right now so you'll have to do it yourself ;)

Have fun,

Pat, now with too many plant-eating cats and too few plant-friendly windowsills to keep amaryllises going, but missing them a lot this time of year.

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I agree with everything Patandchickens said.

I planted an amaryllus in the garden once when I didn't know what else to do with it. It produced great happy leaves. But I don't remember what happened after I potted it back up in the fall and forced it into dormancy...

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Man, you southern gardeners just make us warmth-deprived northern gardeners sick. Sure, just keep posting about all the crops you harvested yesterday. We'll just sit up here freezing to death while you stir-fry your fesh beans.

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Shallots said:
Man, you southern gardeners just make us warmth-deprived northern gardeners sick. Sure, just keep posting about all the crops you harvested yesterday. We'll just sit up here freezing to death while you stir-fry your fesh beans.
and to think buff, we got all these good growing seasons and biscuits and gravy too! and collards, and grits, and green fried tomatoes....you can have all of our chitlins though :p

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have fried green tomatoes up north too - it's a Pennsylvania Dutch thing, I was raised on 'em. What I want from down South is hushpuppies, Carolina bbq and to be able to grow 'real' magnolias.

Oh yeah and to be able to grow amaryllis outdoors. (Though if forced to choose, I would probably have to go with hushpuppies instead).

Pat

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
We have fried green tomatoes up north too - it's a Pennsylvania Dutch thing, I was raised on 'em. What I want from down South is hushpuppies, Carolina bbq and to be able to grow 'real' magnolias.

Oh yeah and to be able to grow amaryllis outdoors. (Though if forced to choose, I would probably have to go with hushpuppies instead).

Pat
Which version of barbeque Pat? I was raised in the NC mountains, there it's tomato based BBQ. On the coast where I spent some time as an adult, it's vinegar based. I really didn't like the eastern version at first; now I love em both. And oh yeah, I get strange looks here in Arkansas for putting cole slaw on my BBQ sandwiches...yummy!!!
I still secretly hold the belief that Arkies aren't REAL southerners. :|

P.S. I have a pretty good recipe for green tomato parmagiana, ever had it?

Latest posts