Amaryllis

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My new red amaryllis, the one I bought DD, that had had the roots chopped off, glued to a decorative Christmas board with a small cardinal next to it, named "Waterless Amaryllis," has been sitting in a plastic cup of water.
It sounds like plant torture!
It now has numerous roots, although small, seems every 2 days it continues to recover.
I chopped off the flower stem. The small leaves are getting taller.
(current pictures soon...)
How LONG should I keep it growing in straight water?

Attachments

• Amaryllis, was covered, DDs Christmas plant, 2023.jpg
    Amaryllis, was covered, DDs Christmas plant, 2023.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 5

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My new red amaryllis, the one I bought DD, that had had the roots chopped off, glued to a decorative Christmas board with a small cardinal next to it, named "Waterless Amaryllis," has been sitting in a plastic cup of water.
It now has numerous roots, although small, seems every 2 days it continues to recover.
Not long. It will send out roots in the soil. It may not bloom next year because of its' cannibalization. Let in grow putting it outside in the pot in the summer. Fertilize it to rebuilt the bulb for next time. Let the leaves grow lush.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow! That is one tough flower!