Amaryllis

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am going to guess it was 20 years ago I decided to cross a few Amaryllis blooms. It is not an endeavor for those without patience. They make lovely prolific seed. It took a few years for the bulbs to grow big enough to bloom. I did not give them much care at the beginning. I Just gave them time.
This gives me hope. I did my first cross a couple of years ago, then managed to lose the tags that would have identified the parents. No matter. So far I have two large pots with about ten seedlings in each pot. It will be worth the wait if they eventually grow to be beautiful amaryllis like the ones in your photo!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
This gives me hope. I did my first cross a couple of years ago, then managed to lose the tags that would have identified the parents. No matter. So far I have two large pots with about ten seedlings in each pot. It will be worth the wait if they eventually grow to be beautiful amaryllis like the ones in your photo!
Try some bulb booster-can't hurt.. Also I have been using greensand in my gardens. I put it on a 20 year old indoor plant with unusual foliage, but it had never bloomed. The plant was covered in blooms for the first time. So I now use it on my indoor plants as well as outdoor gardens.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good news on the amaryllis front-- the cross that I made with Pink Rival x Apple Blossom is progressing well. The seed pod is ripening to reveal tissue paper-like brown seeds that will be released soon. And I labeled it and still have the tag, which is a relief.

Attachments

• IMG_20230506_070644528.jpg
    IMG_20230506_070644528.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20230504_080836903.jpg
    IMG_20230504_080836903.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 69

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good news on the amaryllis front-- the cross that I made with Pink Rival x Apple Blossom is progressing well. The seed pod is ripening to reveal tissue paper-like brown seeds that will be released soon. And I labeled it and still have the tag, which is a relief.

since i only have the one kind i don't let the pods develop as it delays how quickly those stalks die back. when i snip the pods off i found out that if i put a square of TP on the cut end it will not drip on my stands.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
since i only have the one kind i don't let the pods develop as it delays how quickly those stalks die back. when i snip the pods off i found out that if i put a square of TP on the cut end it will not drip on my stands.
That is a good tip Flowerbug-- so often I have been walking around with a cut stem, and then realize that it is dripping all over the floor.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I don't have a problem with caretaking my one amaryllis which was sitting dormant for several months.
I kept the soil moist as it sat on my kitchen counter doing nothing, although there was visible green where last year's stalks had been.
I started watering it again and today the one stalk is 5 inches tall. I am giving it back to DD to take to work. Should bloom this year, didn't last year.
When she gives it back to me I will probably take it out of it's pot and put in a flower bed for the summer.
The stalks get as big as the iris's
This one's flower looks a lot like @catjac1975 is growing, red with the streaks.
If it blooms she will take picture for me.
When was an asst SA in our county everybody in the office came by to look at amaryllis progress and to oohhh and ahhh at how pretty.
On Mid American Gardener several panalists, who graduated from the School of A.C.E.S. (AG Dept) talked about their time in the greenhouse putting away amaryllis by knocking off the soil in their pots, placing the bulb in the pot on it's side and in a cool dark place to rest for a few months.
Not that fussy, but I can see how it would be time consuming.
I am sure yours will sell @Rhodie Ranch especially if you have flower photos.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The seeds from my cross have been floating in a bowl of water for a few weeks now, and most of them germinated-- so I figured I had better get them planted before they rot. I placed them in two pots outdoors for some summer sunshine. In a few months we will see how many survive. My past experience suggests that half or more will perish along the way

Attachments

• IMG_20230603_154817506_MP~2.jpg
    IMG_20230603_154817506_MP~2.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 56