Amaryllis

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I cannot imagine that you killed them. If the bulbs are hard they should be just fine.They seem to regrow when they feel like it but do like when the spring gives them a bit of warmth.

i poked them all and they're firm and some have some green bits of the ends of leaves on the top which are still ok so i'm pretty sure they are all alive, they're just having a good think about when...

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My amaryllis were infested with mealy bugs last fall. The bulbs that I cleaned up and brought indoors for the winter were looking good until recently. Now all but two have developed pure white cotton-like fluffies that I believe to be mealy bugs. Once a pest gets in between the layers of the bulb it's hard to get rid of them. 😕

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My amaryllis were infested with mealy bugs last fall. The bulbs that I cleaned up and brought indoors for the winter were looking good until recently. Now all but two have developed pure white cotton-like fluffies that I believe to be mealy bugs. Once a pest gets in between the layers of the bulb it's hard to get rid of them. 😕

yes, they're a challenge for sure. :(

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I cannot imagine that you killed them. If the bulbs are hard they should be just fine.They seem to regrow when they feel like it but do like when the spring gives them a bit of warmth.
Give one to me and I will surely kill it. 🤔 I've murdered so many spider and yukka plants

I almost killed my last yukka but managed to revive it just in the nick of time so I'm currently left with 2 leaves, that's a winner for my record

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I took the amaryllis our of straight water. I put soil back in the tiny container, WELL watered it, and put it back in the kitchen window where it had decided to grow roots. I will give it a few weeks and then repot in a bigger pot.
The label stays, noticing the irony.
I will have to figure out where to put it as to avoid kitten paws.
Amaryllis with tiny roots, 04-05-24.jpg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Give one to me and I will surely kill it. 🤔 I've murdered so many spider and yukka plants

I almost killed my last yukka but managed to revive it just in the nick of time so I'm currently left with 2 leaves, that's a winner for my record
I am going to guess you kill them with kindness. Too much water. Perhaps poor drainage.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
"Waterless" Amaryllis update. It has been in the small, plastic "temporary" pot for several weeks now. Not much soiil, and I am keeping it watered. It lives on the kitchen window ledge, south facing Full sun, and doing very well. Perhaps I will check the roots and repot early next month.
Amaryllis, 04-23-24.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
mine have taken so long to show any signs that they are even going to grow this year, finally i have a little new green showing. if they flower it's going to be a few months later than normal.