American Sycamore Germination

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you get the Catalpa worms on your trees? My Daddy always planted a Catalpa tree for the catapillars that would show up and eat all the leaves off. He's pluck them off and freeze in a plastic container with cornmeal added, the cornmeal kept them from sticking together. Great fishing worms!!

I love sycamore trees, the bigger the better. The bark is beautiful, the leaves are huge and make good bedding for chickens and other animals.
Wondered where you were going when he picked them put corn meal on them..........

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wonder how horn worms would work? Will have to try.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There was one year I opened up a bunch of Catalpa pods and found a ton of little insects crawling around inside them. Those seeds did not germinate. Wasn't sure what they were but wasn't exactly excited about putting them under warm grow lights.

I think I planted 10 of those and put the rest in a bag in the garage. When they didn't break soil in two weeks I tossed them and hit up another contact who could get me some pods. Those germinated no problem. No clue what those guys we're, but I didn't need some insect taking out all my baby trees for the season

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wonder how horn worms would work? Will have to try.

they're not very firm, so i imagine they won't work all that great, especially after freezing. i mean, like green goo... would not even attempt. report back... i will not be waiting with baited or bated breath (or breadth for that matter)...

Latest posts