AMKuska's 2019 Garden Thread

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
He's very very lucky to be surrounded by good friends and family.

I was at my DD's this week and there was comotion two doors up yesterday morning. I ran out (cus that's who I am, while Ex and DD stood back and withheld themselves, cus thats who they are) to see if I could help. It was an adult licensed care home with four Altz patients who are all Ukranian. The caregiver was hysterical and barely speaks English, while a young girl neighbor was trying to rouse the patient, who was sitting on the front porch, very yellow in color and with eyes and body rigid. I ran up and took over the phone call with 911 while the young gal was trying to help the older woman. Rubbing the chest with knuckles, rubbing ice on the head and neck. Fire arrived and then ambulance paramedics. The older woman had a DNR, so the firemen got her off the porch onto the gurney, while the paramedics put a pillow under her head, wrapped her snuggly in with blankets and enclosed her into the ambulance. 40 min later the fire left and then an hour later with much paperwork completed, the ambulance left, no lights or sirens.

Again, I'm glad that your neighborhood is close and loving to each other.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree with Bay about good neighbors being a blessing. I'm fortunate that we also have great neighbors the entire block.

Glad your neighbor will be ok.

Mary

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thought I'd post some actual plant photos so I can write something about gardening lol

The pepper harvest is a bumper crop. Peppers, peppers, everywhere!

20190807_191916082_iOS.jpg

20190807_191919383_iOS.jpg

:rainbowflower Alex's peppers

20190807_192338825_iOS.jpg

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
This years garden is coming to a close. There's just a couple of tomatoes on the vine now, and some vegetables I've let go to seed so I can refresh my supply. I got almost no vegetables from the garden this year, but I learned a lot, and since I left it virtually untended I feel it came out well. Here's a summary of what I learned:

1. Deer repellent actually works.
Although the deer destroyed my tomatoes, after spraying the border of my garden with the deer repellent I didn't receive any more damage. I'll use it again from the beginning of the garden next year.

2. I think I need to get my soil tested.
I suspect the consistent poor growth of my squash is due to soil problems. My husband however, thinks dumping every kind of nutrient in existence into my garden is the right answer instead. :rolleyes: He got me a chemical nitrogen fertilizer, steer manure, chicken manure, and lime, but I can't spend $20 on a soil test.

Also I can't do a cover crop of peas over the winter. That's just taking more nutrients from the soil. Blend all this stuff into the garden and let it sit!

3. Gardens are family friendly
It's been a pleasure taking the kids to the garden this year, and watching them forage. My son wants to make his own "Plants vs Zombies" garden next year, so my husband will be building him his own raised garden bed for more adventures next year.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you get something back for your efforts, no matter how scant, if you've enjoyed what time you've been there i'd consider that a big win. :)

i don't primarily garden for the food, but that is nice when it works out, i garden for the seed propagation, for the exercise and for giving me something to do outside instead of laying around too much inside, it gives me chances to see the bugs and the birds and to watch the clouds and to appreciate this world we're all in together. being able to play in the dirt, smell the flowers, listen to crickets, to see worms doing wormy things...

i love how it all works together. :)

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I moved to my big place (7 acres) in Murphys CA in 2009, I used that place in Grass Valley CA. I have CRS so don't remember that name. Oh. Just got it. Peaceful Valley Garden supply. Check it out. But it was more than $20 as I remember....

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I moved to my big place (7 acres) in Murphys CA in 2009, I used that place in Grass Valley CA. I have CRS so don't remember that name. Oh. Just got it. Peaceful Valley Garden supply. Check it out. But it was more than $20 as I remember....

Pricing isn't the issue. My husband doesn't see the value in the soil testing when you can just pile a whole bunch of amendments in the soil and call it good. -.-

Latest posts