AMKuska's 2019 Garden Thread

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, we're supposed to be moving out of the rental house in 8 days, and our contractor has come up with every excuse in the book to not work on the floors. I'm really getting fed up. We've let him know for a month that this is it for the rental, and he's gotten my living room floored in and that is all. -.- I feel like I went faster tiling, and this is flooring my contractor chose because it would be faster. :somad

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, we're supposed to be moving out of the rental house in 8 days, and our contractor has come up with every excuse in the book to not work on the floors. I'm really getting fed up. We've let him know for a month that this is it for the rental, and he's gotten my living room floored in and that is all. -.- I feel like I went faster tiling, and this is flooring my contractor chose because it would be faster. :somad

do you have a written contract with them? or a verbal agreement or ? if you've already purchased the materials perhaps you can just tell them you'll find someone else if they aren't going to get it done and start calling around...

i'd be rather steamed too...

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would have found someone else a long time ago, but it took 52 days for my bank to agree to work with this contractor. I can't afford another 52 days waiting for the next contractor when they only have 10% of the money/job left to strangle me by.

I do have a written contract, but it was supposed to be finished in 3 months--bank didn't even give us the money for the first 2. Timing has already gone to pieces.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would have found someone else a long time ago, but it took 52 days for my bank to agree to work with this contractor. I can't afford another 52 days waiting for the next contractor when they only have 10% of the money/job left to strangle me by.

I do have a written contract, but it was supposed to be finished in 3 months--bank didn't even give us the money for the first 2. Timing has already gone to pieces.

oh, ghods, sorry to have it be such a mess. i didn't know there was a bank involved...

patience is good, getting outside and exercising a lot will help burn off the frustration. i hope things will improve and go faster for you there! :)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
As soon as all this is over we will be refinancing purely to get away from this bank. Every contractor, inspector, and insurance agent I have spoken to seems to know about them and their poor reputation. In fact, they were sued recently for dawdling people right out of their homes.

My salvation came today in the form of a gentleman in our neighborhood. He lives at home with his mom because he is, for lack of a better word, simple minded. He likes to pretend he's a dog, and is a super nice guy always ready to help you move a chair, wash a car, or relieve you of a glass of soda. :) He loves helping people.

Well, he saw my contractor slothing his way through his usual 1/8th of a room before calling it quits, and decided to help him! He helped the contractor load garbage, swept the floors, handed him planks, and did everything he could possibly do to help.

The contractor, now forced to actually work to keep up, finished an entire room in 3 hours, cleaned up all his mess, moved all of his tools, and still had time left over.

I told my neighbor that he is WELCOME to come and help with ALL the rest of the work, and I'll pay him on top of what the contractor paid him to stay. :D All he wants to do is help us get back in our house though. <3

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
As soon as all this is over we will be refinancing purely to get away from this bank. Every contractor, inspector, and insurance agent I have spoken to seems to know about them and their poor reputation. In fact, they were sued recently for dawdling people right out of their homes.

My salvation came today in the form of a gentleman in our neighborhood. He lives at home with his mom because he is, for lack of a better word, simple minded. He likes to pretend he's a dog, and is a super nice guy always ready to help you move a chair, wash a car, or relieve you of a glass of soda. :) He loves helping people.

Well, he saw my contractor slothing his way through his usual 1/8th of a room before calling it quits, and decided to help him! He helped the contractor load garbage, swept the floors, handed him planks, and did everything he could possibly do to help.

The contractor, now forced to actually work to keep up, finished an entire room in 3 hours, cleaned up all his mess, moved all of his tools, and still had time left over.

I told my neighbor that he is WELCOME to come and help with ALL the rest of the work, and I'll pay him on top of what the contractor paid him to stay. :D All he wants to do is help us get back in our house though. <3

What a sweet guy. Glad you saw some progress today.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is with contractors anyway? They put people's lives on hold and don't care what it puts people through. I sometimes wonder if they EVER finish a project on time. Grrrrr…… I hope you kick him in the butt and get it done. Want me to come open up a six-pack of Texas Whup-A$$ all over him?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is with contractors anyway? They put people's lives on hold and don't care what it puts people through. I sometimes wonder if they EVER finish a project on time. Grrrrr…… I hope you kick him in the butt and get it done. Want me to come open up a six-pack of Texas Whup-A$$ all over him?

not every one of them is like that. some i think just have this ego thing where they take on way more work than they can realistically finish and that gets them in trouble with scheduling. my brother is a flooring contractor for commercial floors of various kinds and believe me when i say that if they don't get things done on schedule there can be penalties involved... however, with larger jobs and flooring you are at the mercy of every contractor who comes before you so if the slab isn't ready or dry enough or many other things then that's out of your control... all covered by the contract itself. for smaller jobs where he's worked with people before it can be a verbal contract as they know how it goes, but for the larger stuff it's all written down.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
The floors are finished now. The cabinets arrived, some of the lights are on, and one huge dumpster load of trash is gone. It's really starting to look like a proper house now. Just need the rest of the lights turned on, my oven turned on, and counter tops (butcher block!!) and my home is complete.

I started a therapeutic planting project in my greenhouse, just a little lettuce, tomato, etc. for a living salad bar. :) /

Latest posts