AMKuska's 2022 Garden

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
MY bonsai sweet pepper plants got a LOT of sun and rain last summer.
Remember, they like it REALLY warm, so be sure to use a heat mat. After they have true leaves, keep them well watered, and, according to MY peppers, you may not have to up pot them more than once.
Hope this helps!
I always have lots of failures, so I am very sympathetic! :hugs

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
MY bonsai sweet pepper plants got a LOT of sun and rain last summer.
Remember, they like it REALLY warm, so be sure to use a heat mat. After they have true leaves, keep them well watered, and, according to MY peppers, you may not have to up pot them more than once.
Hope this helps!
I always have lots of failures, so I am very sympathetic! :hugs
I actually just realized their heat mat has been turned off! I unplugged it to use the outlet for the shop vac, and then never plugged it back in. I went ahead and plugged it back in, although the grow tent is heated and really quite pleasant. I don't know actual temperature but I feel cozy in short sleeves.

As far as well watered--how much would you say? I read they don't like soggy soil, so not to water them too much. I found out the hard way they don't like dry soil. One of my seedlings got missed somehow and fainted from the dryness. Luckily he stood right back up with a bit of water.

I'm actually hopeful this year is going to be a good one. The mycorrhizae I'm using definitely gives it a robust root system. I just need to provide more fertilizer I think.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted the lettuce, spinach, and bok choy outside today. They seem to be happier outside rather than in. I'll go ahead and start another set of each in case these die from being out too early.

Tomatoes are up, onions are starting to come up, and my precious bell peppers are putting out new leaves. The new leaves look healthy and green, so I believe the fertilizer treatment has helped them. Another bell pepper surprised me by popping up after all this time, so I may well get more than the 15 that have survived so far.

Carrots and bunching onions are doing really well. My cabbages have their first true leaves and are getting quite big.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hot peppers are coming up! Batch #1 of bell peppers are all now about 1" tall and most of them have true leaves. I'm going to document their growth rate on here so I can establish a base line for how long it takes for peppers to grow in my area. That way I can get a better idea of when to start them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our current temperatures make me feel behind, AMK. Going back to normal? When?

I just have a few of the warm-season seedlings still lagging in the soil mix. Feel like writing to the seed company about their Giant Marconi pepper seed. With 0% emergence, I don't know how it would help to sow more!

Other than that, it's a new variety of eggplant, dragging its cotyledons.

Steve

Latest posts