AMKuska's 2022 Garden

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bought some new seeds today. I'm excited for them to arrive! I'm going to grow some hot peppers for my husband.

Last year my son grew carolina reapers in the greenhouse, but only got two off his plants. I'm going to give hot peppers another whirl, this time purely in the greenhouse. I'll start them after this current glut of plants is out, so I should have room to finish them in the grow tent.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My changes to pepper growing seem to be successful. When I checked on the seedlings today, I noticed roots popping out the bottom of the seedling cups. Although they don't look like much on top, their root systems are huge!

A few seedlings are showing signs of phosphorous deficiency though. According to my current research, fertilizing when you see the first true leaves is correct, but I went ahead and watered it with a weak fertilizer solution now.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My changes to pepper growing seem to be successful. When I checked on the seedlings today, I noticed roots popping out the bottom of the seedling cups. Although they don't look like much on top, their root systems are huge!

A few seedlings are showing signs of phosphorous deficiency though. According to my current research, fertilizing when you see the first true leaves is correct, but I went ahead and watered it with a weak fertilizer solution now.

so much is mix dependent you need to be observant.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm really clueless in that area. Any tips?

i think that you noticed the plants could use a bit of a boost was a sign that you were not clueless at all there. :) i almost wrote "good job!" but i didn't want to appear to be ... well i don't know what word i'm thinking of here so let's just say while i was thinking it i didn't write it that time, but now i've said it so there it is. :)

and also by mixed i also mean that within the same brand different bags can have some varience from each other so you keep an eye on things anyways.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww, well thanks! It wasn't exactly subtle though. I spent a frantic few minutes googling why my pepper seedlings could possibly be developing purple spots. :thI thought it was some horrible and virulent pepper disease. Fortunately there's a lot of information out there about seedlings in distress. Hopefully this fertilizer gives them a boost.

I didn't think about a variance in the bag, but that makes a lot of sense. The fertilizer I'm using is an organic mix and literally looks like 3 different materials hand mixed in the bag.

Peppers seem to like it though. They're already looking happier!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if it was a seed starting mix those are often not hugely full of nutrients so it wouldn't be a surprise to me to have to give a plant a boost, but only after it has started to actively grow.

i'm glad it's doing better. :)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_0130.JPG

Pepper today. You can still see some of the purple but there's green now and new leaves!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Woke up today to two very pressuring sets of eyes fixed on me. At some point during the night, they realized you can grow popcorn. It turns out, growing their own popcorn is a hugely important endeavor that they absolutely must take on. Also, I should have told them about the magical ability to grow popcorn. How did I not think to tell them?! ;)

Apparently I'll be finding room for a small plot of popcorn on the property. I ordered them some popcorn seed this morning.

Latest posts