AMKuska's 2023 Garden

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My MIL gave me a handsome gift today!! She gave me a pair of gardening tongs, for getting seedlings out of pots. I'm so grateful!!

I'll have to think of something nice for her as a return gift. I didn't know such things existed but I really like it!

Picture please!

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for suggestion the permies forum. I checked it out, and am chuckling to myself because one of the first posts that I read was titled 'I hate that I feel this way, but I’m starting to wonder if I would have been better off with a different style of garden.' The person goes on to describe devastating issues with yellow jackets, rodents, black ants, and copious quantities of slugs. Lots of food for thought.
I read that one too! I love trying new things and if they don't work, I just shake it off and move on to the next one.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20230212_203904.jpg

Check them out! I tested them on a tomato today. The root development wasn't strong yet so the block crumbled a bit. I'll try again in a few days after the roots fill more space

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Some soils are more crumbly. I have two types i use for everything and have learned where the “dampness” sweet spot is for both of them. It took some playing with but my transplant success went to 100% once i started wetting things more a day before moving. I like the tong, i use a v shaped plastic spade or a tea spoon with the sides ground to make it quite thin. The tong should also provide some side support which is always helpful.

this caused some curiosity in me so i went looking and see all manner of serving tongs that i’ll have to play with! Thanks for sharing. Amazon has a good looking set that i’ll try.
1676271923753.jpeg

Last edited:

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some soils are more crumbly. I have two types i use for everything and have learned where the “dampness” sweet spot is for both of them. It took some playing with but my transplant success went to 100% once i started wetting things more a day before moving. I like the tong, i use a v shaped plastic spade or a tea spoon with the sides ground to make it quite thin. The tong should also provide some side support which is always helpful.

this caused some curiosity in me so i went looking and see all manner of serving tongs that i’ll have to play with! Thanks for sharing. Amazon has a good looking set that i’ll try.
View attachment 55088
That's useful to know! I'll try giving them a good water first and see if that helps!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Imma teaspoon guy,

.. using either the spoon or the handle.

Yes, moisture is an issue. Too wet and the soil may stick in unneeded gobs; too dry may put an unnecessary stress on the seedlings. Movement requires immediate bottom watering, in my book.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I built a hugelculture mound in Lindale. It was hard to keep the soil on it. I got a little over ambitious. After that, I just dug trenches and buried logs and branches, more like swales. That helped with water run off. If you have permanent rows or plantings, make the pathways a hugelculture. Bury branches and such, cover and the plants on either side can reap the benefits.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My MIL gave me a handsome gift today!! She gave me a pair of gardening tongs, for getting seedlings out of pots. I'm so grateful!!

I'll have to think of something nice for her as a return gift. I didn't know such things existed but I really like it!
THX! I have never Seen one before!
Does it work well?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5