AMKuska's 2023 Garden

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Consider buying a muck bucket for your chicken garden.
I have filled these with used stall bedding, then lifted to a wheelbarrow to move.
You can burn or drill holes at the bottom. You will like the handles and portability.
That would make it a lot easier to drag it in and out. Thanks!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
THX! I have never Seen one before!
Does it work well?
It seems brilliantly easy. I bet it would be even better if the seedlings already had roots that were circling. I'm going to play with it more today. If it works well it will make potting up soooo much easier!

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not to add more craziness or wants fo you but have you considered a soil block maker? I have this one and I absolutely love it! Last year was my first year using it and I am addicted!
A standard 1020 tray holds 50 soil blocks. Most seedlings like brassica, lettuces, herbs, flowers can stay in the blocks until transplant. I usually pot up tomatoes and peppers but you don't have to.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not to add more craziness or wants fo you but have you considered a soil block maker? I have this one and I absolutely love it! Last year was my first year using it and I am addicted!
A standard 1020 tray holds 50 soil blocks. Most seedlings like brassica, lettuces, herbs, flowers can stay in the blocks until transplant. I usually pot up tomatoes and peppers but you don't have to.

I went ahead and added that to my wishlist! That would be very useful. Since you seem familiar with them, may I ask if the roots have trouble in compacted soil? I press mine down, but wonder if something too firm would stifle plant growth.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I went ahead and added that to my wishlist! That would be very useful. Since you seem familiar with them, may I ask if the roots have trouble in compacted soil? I press mine down, but wonder if something too firm would stifle plant growth.
None of the seedlings have had any trouble sending roots all over that soil block and even to the neighbors. I get healthier and stronger seedlings with the blocks than I did with pots. I also tend to not over water them since I can see the soil and also the trays feel light when it's time to water. Since blocks touch each other they share their resources. I love soil blocks. The blocks help with transplant shock in my opinion.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Immediately I thought, "if only somebody had one of those old fashioned metal ice trays, you could MAKE soil blocks with it.:"
1676379579826.jpeg

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have one of those metal ice cube trays and I tried making blocks with it but was not super satisfied with the results. I have tried plastic ice cube trays too. Most recently I used the small plastic square tray that contains a block of miso for Trader Joe's miso soup, and that worked really well. It's flimsy though, so will likely not last too long. Sure like my two actual soil blockers though. They are fantastic.

Latest posts