AMKuska's 2023 Garden

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I decided to make a cherry pie once, using huge sweet Lapin cherries. At the time I didn't know that sour cherries were the ones you were supposed to cook with. The pie turned out okay, but the cherries retained their firm shape after baking-- so when you served the pie the cherries rolled all over the plate (and the table, and the floor...) like marbles. 🙃

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband said a dog might have trampled my garlic patch, so I went out to inspect. The plants had all fallen over and the bottom leaves were dry.

Hmm, I thought to myself, and pulled up the smallest, thinnest stalk to see how it looked. It's spring garlic, but the bulb was a decent size!

I pulled up a big stalk and it was enormous!

Pulled the rest with my daughters help. Checked on corn while I was out there. It's past my knees!
IMG_20230627_202039.jpg
IMG_20230627_202046.jpg

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I was surfing reddit and found the most amazing thing on Reddit!! I asked my husband if he could make one and he said, "Oh sure! Just get that motor and we can do it!"
DSC06621.JPG

If you don't immediately realize the possibilities of this amazing device, I shall explain this to you. That machine is a concrete vibrator, and it shakes my sorter. I can turn it on and go off and leave, and come back to beautifully sorted compost!
DSC06617.JPG

This soil is nice enough to pot in! So much better than the garbage I've been getting in a bag. It also means I can keep my composters going all the time since I don't have to wait for all of it to finish. I can sort it and toss what's not finished back in.
DSC06618.JPG

My corn is also taking off! It's up to my thighs now. It's really doing well this year.
DSC06627.JPG

I did not plant potatoes here. Going to have to pull them so my TOMATO garden has room to breathe.
DSC06630.JPG

Grandpa's home have been wildly producing all year. This is third picking on the same plant.
DSC06632.JPG

Some of my draco's!!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never tasted a purple skinned potato! Are they good?
I don't remember! I planted these in my front garden years and years ago. They didn't do well so I didn't try again. They popped up again in my backyard, and a nearby garden fellow was so fascinated by them I let him have what I dug out. (Didn't want them because that was my -pepper- garden.)

Here they are again, this time in my tomato bed next door. >_> This time no one else is here to ask for them so I'm going to eat them!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Purple potatoes can look so much like muddy rocks when you dig them.

They are so very  easy to miss.

Purple Vikings with their whiter than white flesh used to grow extremely well in another garden. They are just fine at the table. (I'm trying Red La Soda this year and, one reason is that they didn't do so well in that other garden ;). ) The Purple Majesty was something of a attractive novelty for DW but it took several years for me to overcome a certain aversion to the color of purple potatoes on the plate. They certainly did okay for us and seemed especially healthy plants if not overwhelmingly productive.

Steve

Latest posts