AMKuska's 2023 Garden

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
a brand of potting soil that I am quite happy with
Was this a regular potting soil or a starter mix, Branching Out?

Many years ago now, I bought a brand that was terrible and it very nearly ruined my season. Made a decision that the problem was was the soil and made a quick switch with enough seeds and time to have done that.

This was not with a starter mix and I don't know if that mix was even available at the retail level at that time. I would prefer not to go that route these days but I'm beginning to feel almost compelled to.

Steve

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Was this a regular potting soil or a starter mix, Branching Out?

Many years ago now, I bought a brand that was terrible and it very nearly ruined my season. Made a decision that the problem was was the soil and made a quick switch with enough seeds and time to have done that.

This was not with a starter mix and I don't know if that mix was even available at the retail level at that time. I would prefer not to go that route these days but I'm beginning to feel almost compelled to.

Steve
This is sold as potting soil, and I am using it to fill milk jugs for 'winter sowing' some seeds. I picked up a 6" deep Rubbermaid clear bin for $1 at the thrift shop, and it holds six milk jugs perfectly. I have them sitting on our patio table for now, under cover so they don't get too soggy. One variety, Art Shades phlox, needs darkness to germinate so that milk jug has a black sack over it.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
The replacement potting soil came today, and it looks very nice! Not a giant stick, piece of rope, or large chunk of wood to be found. It's also still moist, holds water well, and feels soft and fluffy to the touch.

They also included a bag of fertilizer in my box. I've never tried their fertilizer. I'm a little surprised they'd include anything besides the replacement bag, but I'm not complaining! Definitely impressed by the customer care.

IMG_20230114_125043.jpg

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got my Tomatoes, watermelons, cucumbers and a few more bell peppers going today. I'm contemplating getting another rack of lettuce, spinach, bok choi and leeks going as they take up very little space. I'd also like to get some extras going for a 'chicken' garden.

Hmm, also some peas. I found a likely looking location to plant them! :)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My daughter found a dying chick in the coop today. I told her it was unlikely to live, but nevertheless it is now in a box under a heat lamp in my greenhouse, with a half finished Barbie dress for a blanket. It's name is Princess Cinderella.

Attachments

• IMG_20230129_135017.jpg
    IMG_20230129_135017.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 45

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Birds can't pull through like mammals can.
My 3 "mean girls" were starving when their mother died at 3 weeks old.
When I brought in Smudgekins and Mynx from the barn's loft in March, they were ready to eat and all I had that day was cow's milk. I started them on cat milk replacer next day, and Then I brought in Lynx. Lynx was failing and I had to use a syringe to feed her for 1/2 a day, then she rallied.
Please understand, that we brought in 2 kittens when we still thought their mother was alive.
I kept them all in a medium sized dog crate with work towels, which I changed out, so they wouldn't wander or get attacked by the other cats.
Point is, like YOU know, mammels recover.'
Once a bird goes downhill they don't make it back.
Lynx is MY cat and hangs with me every morning, laptop here or not.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
They do, that's why I warned my daughter the chick probably wouldn't make it. I don't believe it was ever aware of its surroundings, but I imagine dying warm under a heat lamp is better than dying cold and abandoned in an old nest.

Latest posts