AMKuska's 2023 Garden

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the hay market can't order me any. The hatchery has cut off all special orders until June due to the demand for laying hens. All their focus is on trying to meet demand.

That's okay though! My husband found several breeders of Sebrights locally, so we'll sit down and pick a good one later today.

My son, who showed almost zero interest in chickens apart from being paid to care for them, has suddenly taken an interest in getting his own flock when we move. For science, he poured over various breeds of chicken, read to me various interesting health facts, added sums for various equipment he would need, and went out to play with our current batch of chicks.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don’t t you wish you could figure out what switch to flip and turn it on? Here he went and done it his self! Chickens! Heck yeah!
This year has been his year of growth. His schoolwork is polished, he's playing sports, he's helping around the house. I can't say enough about him. <3

One of the hatching eggs hatched in his hand. He's going to start putting aside some of his weekly money for his own flock so it can be all his when we move.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Well, the hay market can't order me any. The hatchery has cut off all special orders until June due to the demand for laying hens. All their focus is on trying to meet demand.

That's okay though! My husband found several breeders of Sebrights locally, so we'll sit down and pick a good one later today.

My son, who showed almost zero interest in chickens apart from being paid to care for them, has suddenly taken an interest in getting his own flock when we move. For science, he poured over various breeds of chicken, read to me various interesting health facts, added sums for various equipment he would need, and went out to play with our current batch of chicks.
Look up on SEARCH (google or your preference) your close by cities and type in "chickens." That's how I found a local small livestock breeder who raises chickens, ducks, geese, sheep and small hogs.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
It definitely was a "WOW!" moment. I normally have to ask him at 3PM when the chickens are practically rioting if he's feeding the chickens or I am. (Since sometimes he decides not to, we put marks up on a dry erase board and he needs 7 to get paid.) He's not really an animal person most of the time.

Today the chickens, slackjawed in shock, (slackbeaked?) received lavish care at 7:56AM. I put $4 in his savings account for chickens. It's supposed to be $2, but I told him I'd match it. That's about enough for his first chick right there. I'm sooo proud of him!

He spends all his time with the current chicks, and they actually like him. They'll come stand on his hand. It's also the first year he's been mature enough that him asking for a live animal of his own has even been a possibility.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Things are not looking good for the peas in my garden. I may have to fence them from my dogs. They're nibbling them down as soon as they grow up a bit! I recall having to do this a different year too.

I found my broccolis languishing in the back of my greenhouse and got them hardened off and planted. They are much happier outside. :)

My son asked if when we move we can grow a big pumpkin. Glad they're so hopeful about a move. We'll find out April 4th about when we can start looking for a house.

Latest posts