AMKuska's 2023 Garden

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
This year has been his year of growth. His schoolwork is polished, he's playing sports, he's helping around the house. I can't say enough about him. <3

One of the hatching eggs hatched in his hand. He's going to start putting aside some of his weekly money for his own flock so it can be all his when we move.
I think you will need to pick up some used cat crates to move the chickens in.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chicks went to their new home. As was expected my son was sad, but more determined than ever to get his own chick. A friend of mine tipped me off to Sebrights at a certain hay market, so we rushed to try and get there. My son brought his money, so he could buy his very own chick.

When we got there, they were sold out. :(

We asked when they would have them again, and turns out, they just moved the chicks temporarily. We got 7 because they warned us the chicks weren't looking terribly good when they arrived that morning. My son chose a gold sebright, and we painted its toenails so we can tell his apart. Hope its not a roo.

The hay market's warning was accurate. Two of the little guys have died so far, none of them blue nails.

It's been awful weather outside. Each time I think it's fine to put the tomatoes out it starts hailing/raining/snowing violently. Then it goes back to sun. Crazy!

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Frost day maps are usually pretty helpful in helping determine safe planting times. Local knowledge too, up here they say when the birch leaves are the size of a mouse’s ear; it’s safe to plant frost sensitive stuff.
For us i also add soil temp into the mix and won’t plant anything until we have a constant 55 or above. A simple barbecue thermometer works very well for this.

Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For us i also add soil temp into the mix and won’t plant anything until we have a constant 55 or above. A simple barbecue thermometer works very well for this.
I love baking bread, and have a Thermopop digital baking thermometer that I am going to try poking in the dirt. This will be a first for me. Is it best to place the sensor just a couple of inches below the surface?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just about any thermometer will work, the barbecue thermometer i use has a 5 inch long probe and i insert it to the hilt, being digital it reads quicker than other styles.
I'll have to take my thermometer out and give it a read. I think the raised garden beds probably have warmer soil temperatures.