And, Everyone is Irish!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
In life, timing is everything. (Good heavens! Even my autocomplete app anticipated those words.)

Another Celtic group, the Welsh, have St. David's Day. It's on March 1st. Too early for much of the northern hemisphere. The Scottish holiday celebration of St. Andrew's Day right after Thanksgiving is a little problematic for Americans.

Anticipating Spring has much to do with the popularity of St. Patrick's Day. I remember that even in school, the nearing moment of Summer vacation was almost something a school kid could touch.

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Its always amateur hour, so I stay home. We used to do corned beef and cabbage but its not a big deal if we don't.

Family goes back to Cunninghams, McGillicuttys, and some Germans. I'm sure its legitimately Irish but unless I'm a Patty O'Furniture there's not much to celebrate. I wear my green and have fun with it.

Id rather save my time and efforts for Easter. 2nd only to Christmas in my opinion. Its usually nice, all the lilies, the bright pastels, I'd much rather get excited about that day.
I do agree

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
May 1st is May Day.

I remember that as little kids the teacher had a maypole on the playground after taking off one of the tetherballs from the pole. Once we had wrapped all of our ribbons around the maypole, we didn't really know what to do ...

At home, we picked flowers out of the yard and took them to Mrs Orton. Mrs Orton was "bedridden," according to Mom. She had her bed in her dining room which I thought was handy. Her bachelor son lived with her but he hung out in the kitchen if he was home from work and we were visiting.

Internationally, May 1 is Labour Day. It was a big deal in the USSR so the USA chose a September date for Labor Day and designated May 1 as Law Day. I believe that means we should recognize that that this is a nation of laws and everyone is equal before the law.

Steve

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have no clue what I is. No clue at all. I most likely don't have any Irish though, cause 1 drink of anything is probably enough to make me light headed. I don't remember how many years since I took a sip of any alcohol, but it's probably at least 30 maybe longer.

I'm not a stick in the mud, it just doesn't agree with me. I get dizzy enough just walking around The yard. I can't imagine inducing it with liquor.

You know what? I'm going to have recant that statement. A few years back my wife made me a hot toddy because I had a bad cough with a cold.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have always been told that I'm Irish/German on my Dad's side and Italian on my Mom's.
No one has ever verified it for certain <that I know of>.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have no clue what I is. No clue at all. I most likely don't have any Irish though, cause 1 drink of anything is probably enough to make me light headed. I don't remember how many years since I took a sip of any alcohol, but it's probably at least 30 maybe longer.

I'm not a stick in the mud, it just doesn't agree with me. I get dizzy enough just walking around The yard. I can't imagine inducing it with liquor.
That is exactly how I am !!! only an occasional glass of wine at a fancy event or holidays! Enough for me. And I am mostly GERMAN, beer is yucky!

Latest posts