..and now I have coyotes.

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yipe.
Not too sure I like that.
how does one protect livestock... besides Guard dogs? I am getting dog poor as it is.
The long term plan is dairy goats. maybe I need to re-plan.
If everyone is behind locked doors at night, are things safe during the day?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
As long as you have power an electric fence works really well. You might think of a contingency plan for a hurricane but that might work for dairy goats. Electric fences do require maintenance, to keep the weeds, grass, and brush from shorting them out.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd say electric fencing, too. Just remember to turn it off or stay clear your self when working near it. :eek: (Experience speaking!)

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Can't I just learn from Carol's experience?
I heard a lot of gun shots from my neighbor's with cattle. Maybe my problem has been handled.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess that the Cal. coyotes are smarter than those in other States. They just jump over the electric fence and since they sharpened their appetite, they have a tastey snack of the farm critters. :mad:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haha and not only do they jump over the fence like @bobm says, depending on the size of your dog, they might just snack on Fifi! They have been known to jump in yards, grab dogs or cats, jump back over the fence and take off.

@greengenes , if you're dog poor, the coyotes might handle that problem for you. :\ They will lure bigger dogs away, usually by a female in heat, where the whole pack can descend on the dog to eat it.