..and now I have coyotes.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
They may be able to clear a 4 foot fence, but anything taller will have to climbed in some manner, as in the coyote contacting the fence. With a little thought they can be thwarted.

My husband did some work for a couple who had a 6 foot chain link fence around their pool. One day as they were sitting out there, while their old, blind, and little, dog Riley was toddling around, a coyote ran up and over the fence, grabbed Riley and was gone.

Then there's us. We have no perimeter fence. Our dogs are smallish herding breeds that are not loose at night.
My chickens, goats and little horse do not live in Fort Knox, although the chickens are shut in their sturdy coop at night. We have had coyotes run through here during the day, and one morning we saw one sniffing around the wire of the chicken pen.
We did lose my Jack Russel, but he went out after them.:hit
We have also lost a couple of cats, but it might as easily been Great Horned owls that got them.

All I'm saying is that coyotes in the area might not be a reason to panic.
If they start feeling pressure from being hunted they will be much less bold. It sounds as if your neighbor is already being proactive.

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:\ Not great news.
However, because fewer people in my parts vaccinated their dogs when the economy stalled (and the prices keep going up) ... rabies, distemper, and Parvovirus will be taking the vast majority of pets with this influx of coyotes. I keep my dogs close. They are my family. And I take good care of my family. But I will be more vigilant before I let them out of the van when we get to the property early. They love chasing smells, and I do not want a coyote waiting on the end of the smell trail.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Solar red lights are worthless.
Get a strong solar energizer and then put up a good hot fence.

Latest posts