Angels Trumpet / Brugmansia

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, I have wonderful luck with mine- and have yet to have spider mites. Now I have something else to worry about! I've used containers for mine in the past- but they get way bigger planted in the garden. You will really enjoy those beautiful flowers and the heavenly aroma. Does anybody grow devils trumpet? They are night blooming and the flowers are white and smell fabulous. I enjoy those too!

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The Devil's Trumpet is what I was supposed to be drawing for that journal cover. We were confused. The ethnobotanist recognized the Ilex, but was disappointed that my Datura just... wasn't. It came out awesome anyway, tho. :)

There is a variety of Devil's Trumpets here that are deep purple on the outside, and white inside, and are double blossoms. The foliage is kinda purple also. I rarely see them in landscaping hereabouts though.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems that some things are named with the intention of confusion.

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, we knew the article featured Datura / Jimson Weed. I didn't know what they looked like, so poked through a book of botanical illustrations, and selected one of the many listed as genus datura. Which were apparently mis-labeled. And I didn't check with the ethnobotanist first, which was silly. O well. :) I was young and dumb and needed the portfolio piece.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew a brugmansia from seed ten plus years ago and it has never once flowered! The thing is huge and truthfully I'm very tired of lugging it in and out of the greenhouse each winter, where it takes up an inordinate amount of precious space! What can I do to induce it to flower?

I live in Zone 8 in the southwest where winters are relatively short and mild. It usually freezes at night but warms up to t-shirt weather during the day. I'm thinking about taking several cuttings to make it smaller, and maybe even seeing if it can overwinter on my porch, having the cuttings as back ups in the greenhouse. What do you think?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew a brugmansia from seed ten plus years ago and it has never once flowered! The thing is huge and truthfully I'm very tired of lugging it in and out of the greenhouse each winter, where it takes up an inordinate amount of precious space! What can I do to induce it to flower?

I live in Zone 8 in the southwest where winters are relatively short and mild. It usually freezes at night but warms up to t-shirt weather during the day. I'm thinking about taking several cuttings to make it smaller, and maybe even seeing if it can overwinter on my porch, having the cuttings as back ups in the greenhouse. What do you think?

Try one more time with a fertilizer that is for stimulating blooms. I would not take a cutting. Why bother on a plant that sounds like it may never bloom? They are easy to grow and get to bloom. It seems like you had a dud for seed.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought cuttings some years ago. I kept them for a few years but they looked terrible over the winter in the greenhouse. They got spider mites and mealy bugs. Now I would use a soil drench with a systemic insecticide. They are beautiful and very aromatic. I call them Angel's trumpet, however. I grow an annual version that has beautiful foot long white blooms. It blooms at night and stays open on cool days much of the day. It stops traffic it is so beautiful.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have an angel's trumpet (Gribaldi) in a big pot on my deck. Last year it got frost bitten because I didn't cover it. But I just cut off the bad part which was half of the plant and it came back just fine. Other than that, I've had no pest problems. I do need to fertilize it every couple months.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerweaver, sometimes you can induce a shrub or perennial (in ground planting) to bloom by root pruning with a shovel. You cut down through the roots around the dripline and then water and fertilize.
I don't know much about brugmansias, or even if this would be effective for a container plant, but it might be worth a try.

Latest posts