Angry Chickens?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My girls are a little miffed today, because I finally got my fence up around the garden. Now I can plant stuff outside! I can turn over a shovelful of soil without a hungry hoard descending on me looking for worms! I feel like I really accomplished something because I did it myself. We had the posts up, but I knew it would be a while before my DH felt like working out in this wind, and my cabbage, broccoli and onions want to be planted now! Being kind of a weakling and with physical limitations, I know I will be really sore tomorrow; my hands and back are aching now. However, I feel glad that I could do it. People who are strong probably take this sort of thing for granted, but to me it's a big deal. :throw

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
heh, i was thinking this was some sort of new version of 'Angry Birds' :lol:

my girls have a run and i occasionally let a few out to run in the garden while i'm making hills and areas for the different veggies. they go crazy when they find 'goodies' in the garden and tear it up in the process!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats! Pat yourself on the back for an excellent job! I love my chickens, but they don't spend time in the garden- until fall! Enjoy your safe veggie garden!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for you! so lucky. Take alittle rest with a cup of tea and just look out at your efforts. Just think, this will reward you for years!

Mary

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ours have been free ranging since the garden was done last fall. I keep thinking they are going to be soooo cheesed off once the garden is back and they are back in their pen! At least we will know where to look for their eggs then. :D

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have my chicken yard and my garden fairly close together. I plan to connect them with fencing in a year or so, put in a gate so they can have the adjoining grass (not for long!), their yard and the garden in the off-season. That will give me more choices for allowing them some freedom, but still contain them when needed.

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You never know what you can do till you try. A few years ago I had a new kitchen faucet to put in. I'd wanted a new one for years, the old one leaked. Knew what I wanted, bought it and put it in myself. Took hours longer than if DH did it, and when he came home he did take pity on me and make sure the connections were tight enough. Still works and looks great if I do say so myself. :D

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mom use to do that deliberately: After asking Dad to do something a couple of times, she would make a big production out of starting the project herself. Of course, Dad fell for it every time. I wonder what would have happened if he had just sat back and watched her? :lol: Too, I think a lot of us are torn between wanting to do the job yourself, and needing help due to the difficulty of it.

backintime

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I wanted to build some compost bins "all by myself" so I got some old pallets and gathered my cordless drill and all-time favorite drywall screws. Was feeling so empowered. Then I couldn't get even one screw into the hardwood pallets, they were like STEEL. Almost cried, feeling defeated. Hubby was nice enough not to "intrude" on my project and offered me a bag of zip ties. OHMYGOSH! You can join them together to make any length you need! I zip tied all the pallets together at the corners, then zip-tied chicken wire onto the sides. I LOVE ZIP TIES!

Latest posts