Announcing a new arrival

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is only part of the tree, the rest is covered also. Varieties budding: Arbequina, Koroneiki, Arbosana, Kalamata, Ascolano, Picholine, Taggiasca, Empeltri, Callitier and Leccino. All in various stages of budding, some more advanced than others. Not sure of the other varieties at this point. As I understand it, they may abort a goodly portion of the flowers, but still it should be interesting. The trees are enclosed in grow tents and I intend to put a fan in the bottom of the tent and smack the branches around to get the pollen airborne. The amount of pollen produced by these small flowers is amazing. It falls onto the lower leaves and coats them in gold. I am not sure if there is any nice scent to flowering olives yet. I have waited a few years to see this, so I hope my efforts pay off, still, it is interesting work with them. :fl

P.S. I just noticed that the Chemlali and Oueslati are budding also.

Last edited:

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought I would do a follow up on El Primo. The plant flowered and produced a few olives the first year after being cloned. Unusual to say the least. The plant flowered and produced olives the second year. Also unusual. Now, the plant has flowered and has set olives this, the third year. What is unusual, is that the parent plant has never flowered or produced a single olive. It is the oldest and largest olive plant I have. The plants share identical genes and live side by side in the same media and conditions. I'll never understand plants. :rolleyes:

Olives set.jpg

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The question is : Why did you clone an olive plant that never has produced in the first place ?