Another Dog Story

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember a couple of weeks ago when I told the sad story of the neighbor across the street "accidentally" letting the dog (belonging to his girlfriend) escape from the back yard repeatedly-----and the dog came over to see Penny, and she got hit by a car and killed?
Well, this morning about 6:30 I let Penny out on her tie-out to do her business. In about 2 minutes she started barking at....another strange dog across the street! This time it was a huge great Dane type, and the dog came lumbering out to the middle of the road and just stood there, wagging his tail. I dragged Penny inside and DH went out to try to scare the dog back into his yard, but the goofy friendly dog came loping across and came right up to DH, licked his hands, etc. Meanwhile Penny was having a conniption, wanting to get out there. DH came in, and the next thing I know, the big dog was at our back patio door (second story) trying to get to Penny.
I went to the neighbor and pounded on his door. I was surprised that he answered, that quickly on a Sunday before 7am. But he did, and I told him his dog was on my back patio, trying to paw his way into the house. He said "Oh, I didn't know he was out." He came across the road with me, while I lectured him about already seeing their other dog get run over crossing the road, and it about killed us. I don't know what all I said to him, but I was pretty angry just thinking about how irresponsible it is to have one dog get killed by being careless, then getting another one immediately and being just as careless.
That is a slow moving dog, and he doesn't even know to not stand in the middle of the road.
I'm just going to nag that young man and be a thorn in his side, every time I see the dog off leash. Maybe he will repair the fence just to keep me off his back.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sad but not surprised. If you have a a leash law, call animal control every time dog is outside their fence. After a warning or 2 the fines will start. money talks after paying for fines a few times they will fix fence or get rid of dog. The down side is they will probable know it's you calling animal control.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy, we live in the county, so there are no leash laws. If I knew the dog was from the local Humane Society, I would call them and tattle on the owners. The HS doesn't take kindly to owners who let their dogs escape frequently.
I really don't want to see another dog splattered on the highway in front of the house.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
*SMH* Some people never learn! I've had to make a few dogs disappear before (to the pound.) I hated to do it, but it was an incessant problem. A great dane is a whole lot of dog to have to put up with too!

We do have a leash law here too. Owners pay $100 to bail their dog out of the pound.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
If animal control is called to pick up a stray. (You can call and say you do not know where it is coming from) the owner will have to pay to bail it out. (At least they do here.) After several trips to bail out dog the money talks. Son had a neighbor several houses down that let dog run, would scare chickens, get in garbage, etc... after about three pick ups, the dog stopped showing up. Seems owner became better about keeping dog at home`

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy, not that I am aware of. Well, I guess there is a county office to call about a suspected rabid animal, but I don't know of any laws about dogs running loose out here. This particular dog looks like a big ole Marmaduke. He is white with brown ears, and dark brown patch over one eye. Friendly, slow and goofy. Don't want to hurt him. Just don't want him to get hurt, or hurt my chickens. I think he just wanted to play with Penny.