Another Dog Story

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The dog owners are liable for car damage if their dog gets hit. We once got an adult rehomed dog that would not stay in our fenced yard. He ended up getting hit and we paid $700 for a broken headlight.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know how you feel about telling a lie. Go over with dog when they are home, tell them dog broke into your chicken coop did lots of damage $200 payable right now.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years ago, a neighbors' female dog braught her 6-- 8 week old pups onto our ranch and killed 32 eggs laying hens. I caught 2 of the pups while mamma and the others hightailed it home. Later, I went over to the owners' house with the 2 pups and with photos of the dammage. I told them that I will file a law suit for triple dammages and that I will take the 2 pups to the pound. 2 days later they gave me a check for triple damages with an apology. They also took mamma and the entire litter to the county pound. At least these people learned their lesson.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
in my case if someones dog raided my coop they'd have an expensive bill. with my colored Faverolles being tough to replace due to the limited breeders out there. i know someone on BYC a few years ago sent a bill for the replacement of chickens. they included the cost to raise the chicks, feed, replace those that were egg laying, and for the loss of future eggs for those that were their breeders, and for any damage done to the coop.

maybe you could report them for animal cruelty since they are neglecting the dog(s). the 1st one was proof if the driver's name was taken down, or plate written with description of the vehicle.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The older man came home about 6:30 and spied the dog immediately. He came over to get it, and spoke with DH who was out mowing the field. He said "the boy" got it from someone who couldn't keep it anymore--go figure. He did apologize and pretty much blamed the boy for being irresponsible. Today there is no sign of the dog. I think they are keeping him in the basement. We'll see........

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You're not going to 'teach them a lesson'. People who have that mindset about pets see nothing wrong about it and won't change.
You're either going to have to find some some legal way to pressure them (animal control/leash law/etc), learn to accept that they will be constant soruce of stress, or become an underground railroad for their constant supply of new dogs (and risk legal action from their side if you get caught).
How much would you guess this guy weighs? Is it possible to get the law to act - not on the fact that he's a lose dog - but on the fact that he's a hazard in the road? If I had a pony that kept getting in the road, they would force me to pen it or take it.
Cane, the dog probably weighs 90 lbs. He could really do a lot of damage to a car.

Latest posts