Another Long Time member has passed: bobm

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was talking via messages to Bay about Bobm and decided to mail her some of his Japanese maple tree seeds he gave me back in November 22. I've had them in my refrigerator.

This led up to me looking him up, since he's in the next town. Bob was quite ill, on dialysis two or three times per week. He's got a fascinating history, of which Baymule can fill in as her memory is better than mine!

Sadly, he passed in March. He was a rascal with eyes that twinkled and shone with knowledge and wit.

Robert Manelis Sr., 82, Battle Ground, died March 11, 2023. All County Cremation and Burial Services.

His wife, Karen, you might remember, was an IRS auditor and boy oh boy, the stories of her findings and his adoration of her were very memorable. She was quite ill when I met her last winter. But she survives him at this point.

I'm sad to be bereft of his gardening and herd animal knowledge.

Attachments

• IMG_2389.JPG
    IMG_2389.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 63

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
He never really talked about himself, it just came out in bits and pieces.

He had a horse ranch, there wasn’t much about horses that he didn’t know. It was in California. They sold and moved out of California.

He was European, never said what country. He spent 2 years of his childhood hiding in the woods with his family, hiding from the Nazis. He once told of being at a farm, looking for something to eat, when the Nazis rolled in. He hid. The Nazis dragged the farmer and his wife outside and shot them both.
He and his family were so glad to see the American soldiers, and the war was over. They came to America, he started school and didn’t speak a word of English.

He was a brilliant man. His head was packed full of knowledge about animals, vegetables, trees and flowers. I always liked him. He just didn’t say much about himself. What I have written, I pieced together from brief mentions from time to time. We were blessed to have him here.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
He lived in Fresno and then in Davis and worked at UC Davis ag dept. He wanted to mail a home grown maple to Bay when she moved to her new place, but it was too expensive. So he gave it to me, where I planted it and its thriving. This is why he gave me seeds. Bay can start some and I've started some. Let see if they grow in Bob's name!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
:rainbowflower

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am SO sorry to hear that he passed.
I am not Too surprised. Many of his posts in the last year have referenced his health problems.
It was a joy to have been an "online penpal" with Bob.
May he rest in peace, ride ALL of his horses that passed before him, and grow the best things in the afterlife.

Latest posts