Another Potato question

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted a couple of varieties like two weeks ago. I am starting to see some sprouting but only from a few. Should I cover them now or wait till the rest have started to spout. And by sprout I meaen there is a steam with a couple of leaves.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, you are thinking about hilling them?

I usually don't do that until I begin to see the tubers lifting above the soil. All I'm doing is trying to keep them from turning green but I know that other gardeners have potatoes planted in trenches. Is that your technique?

Steve

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dang, I think I am confused. I put the taters in a bed and then put dirt on top of them. I thought I was supposed to keep covering them as they grow leaves. Here is a pic of my bed it will be 20 inches high.

DSC00482.jpg

So should I uncover them?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can let the leaves get a little taller. I usually let at least 6-12" of leaves out on top when I hill up the dirt.

You don't need to uncover them. You can just be patient, the shoots will grow longer and then you can put dirt, straw, leaves, whatever on top. As long as there's a little shoot sticking out on top.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
You can let the leaves get a little taller. I usually let at least 6-12" of leaves out on top when I hill up the dirt.

You don't need to uncover them. You can just be patient, the shoots will grow longer and then you can put dirt, straw, leaves, whatever on top. As long as there's a little shoot sticking out on top.
Agreed. They will be fine just let them go and they will be up out of there in no time. I leave about 8-12" of mine out.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did a little digging and saw that there were alot of sprouts under the soil. Hopefully they will grow. I need to be patient. I wonder if I can grow that.

Latest posts