Ants killing my plant pot plants

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
🐜 🐜 🐜 I couldn't find out what was destroying all of my potted plants . Then thanks to my cat 🐈 kicking over one of the pots this morning I found out what it is.

The roots of my plants are ant colonies 🐜 🐜 🐜 🐜

20220507_122819.jpg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have coffee grinds given to me from my local cafe so I'm changing to soils and adding this and some lemon rinds. Fingers 🀞 this will help

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
ants wouldn't normally be any kind of problem, often they are a help (increasing drainage and oxygen). sometimes they can herd aphids - i'm not sure that is going on there.

some species cause direct damage from leaf cutting, but i don't think those kinds of ants are in the UK.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ants wouldn't normally be any kind of problem, often they are a help (increasing drainage and oxygen). sometimes they can herd aphids - i'm not sure that is going on there.

some species cause direct damage from leaf cutting, but i don't think those kinds of ants are in the UK.
These plants were beautiful in March then last month just started to die. I'm baffled

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
These plants were beautiful in March then last month just started to die. I'm baffled
I don't know about potted plants, but I vaguely remember my mother saying they periodically need to be repotted because the soil becomes compacted over time. I think the roots get damaged (or rot?) because they cannot breathe (or something? I can't remember).

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't know about potted plants, but I vaguely remember my mother saying they periodically need to be repotted because the soil becomes compacted over time. I think the roots get damaged (or rot?) because they cannot breathe (or something? I can't remember).
I aim to repot but also trying to preserve some of the soil. Thank you 😊

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If there is too much ant activity, I can imagine that the plant will suffer. Ants will remake the landscape to their own requirements and that isn't always okay with whatever else is living there.

My technique of dealing with an ant colony that isn't okay with me is to torment them until they leave. Usually that just means just loosening tthe soil with the spading fork.

Now, the environment isn't okay for the ants and they pack up the babies and move.

Steve

Latest posts