1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Spiders - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Any handy tips for getting rid of smoke smell?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by thistlebloom, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Jan 31, 2018
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

This morning I made some toast, got distracted and left the kitchen. This is important- you cannot walk away from our toaster, it has to be manually popped up....

So, 10, or maybe it was 15, minutes later I come back in and ~ !! !!Holy Smoke!! The house was full of smoke to within 2 feet of the floor! It was so thick I had trouble seeing to the other side of the room. :eek:
    Now I generally make bread cringe when it sees me getting ready to put it under a broiler or in the toaster, but I have never done such a fine cremation job on 2 slices of bread as I did this morning. I think I set a new Universe record.
    Happily the neighbors didn't call the fire dept. when I opened every door and window in the house and the smoke rolled out in giant waves.
    With all the exhaust fans and the ceiling fan on high I got it cleared out pretty good in about a half an hour, (and the house was down to 54 degrees).

But it still reeks in here. I have washed all the couch pillows and the curtains, and sprayed the non washables with a odor neutralizer...I fear it will still stink weeks from now.

So, does anybody have any tips for eliminating the smoke stench? I will probably be washing walls tomorrow. Any thoughts would be appreciated.:)

Carol Dee and Collector like this.
  2. Jan 31, 2018
    dickiebird

dickiebird Garden Addicted

We had a room like that and I found some charcoal and opened a bag of it in the room for a couple of days.
    It had to be real charcoal not briquettes.

THANX RICH

Carol Dee, Nyboy and thistlebloom like this.
  3. Jan 31, 2018
    thistlebloom

I have real charcoal, thanks!

(and I don't mean dinner :oops:)

Carol Dee and Collector like this.
  4. Jan 31, 2018
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

I wonder if baking soda would help. It would probably have to be sprinkled liberally and left awhile. If that kitchen really reeks, just covering the bottom of the sink probably won't be enuf. Maybe, a couple of cookie sheets ...

DW is a real believer in soda in the fridge. She tends to get another box and just shove it in! It would not surprise me if there are 4 or 5 boxes of Arm & Hammer in there.

She is not a believer in pop-up toasters. Along with my dishwasher, it was one of those things left unused, after she showed up. The dishwasher wouldn't cycle after sitting for a couple of years. I don't know what happened to my toaster. Its place on the counter was taken by her toaster oven. She never burns things - I burn 30-50% of what I put in there!

By the way, if you can get away from the diesel and gasoline fumes, have you ever noticed that downtown area of American cities smell of burnt toast every morning?

;) Steve

thistlebloom likes this.
  5. Jan 31, 2018
    thistlebloom

I also have a huge bag of baking soda. I'll try putting it out and around on several cookie sheets, good idea!

digitS' likes this.
  6. Jan 31, 2018
    Gardening with Rabbits

Gardening with Rabbits Garden Addicted

Wow, that would be scary! No idea how to fix it though.

7. Jan 31, 2018
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

ick! washing down every surface is a ton of work. i mistakenly rented an apartment where the previous tennant was a heavy smoker. i thought it just needed to be aired out. ended up washing everything, having the carpets cleaned again, used a few gallons of febreeze and a roller to get the walls and ceiling. still didn't do enough to get rid of the stench. when i finally moved out i left my old futon behind it wasn't ever going to not stink again... :(

a one-time event you have a much better chance of it eventually fading.

air out the house again.

get rid of that toaster.

and where were your smoke detectors? those should have been working!!!!! *worried*

ducks4you likes this.
  8. Jan 31, 2018
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: sounds like my cooking but I did have fire dept show up . Fill a small bowl with bleach and leave out. Might need to change beach for a 2nd day.

Collector and thistlebloom like this.
  9. Jan 31, 2018
    seedcorn

seedcorn Garden Master

@thistlebloom $10 at Walmart and you can have a new one.....

majorcatfish, Nyboy and thistlebloom like this.
  10. Jan 31, 2018
    Collector

Collector Garden Addicted

Sounds like a lot of good ideas already. One thing that you can do is wash hard surfaces with a diluted vinegar solution. Floors cabinets and walls of necessary. I hope it just leaves on its own lol, but it usually needs to be coaxed. Maybe toaster smoke is easier to get rid of, than say your normal range smoke.

baymule and thistlebloom like this.