Any handy tips for getting rid of smoke smell?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This morning I made some toast, got distracted and left the kitchen. This is important- you cannot walk away from our toaster, it has to be manually popped up....

So, 10, or maybe it was 15, minutes later I come back in and ~ !! !!Holy Smoke!! The house was full of smoke to within 2 feet of the floor! It was so thick I had trouble seeing to the other side of the room. :eek:
Now I generally make bread cringe when it sees me getting ready to put it under a broiler or in the toaster, but I have never done such a fine cremation job on 2 slices of bread as I did this morning. I think I set a new Universe record.
Happily the neighbors didn't call the fire dept. when I opened every door and window in the house and the smoke rolled out in giant waves.
With all the exhaust fans and the ceiling fan on high I got it cleared out pretty good in about a half an hour, (and the house was down to 54 degrees).

But it still reeks in here. I have washed all the couch pillows and the curtains, and sprayed the non washables with a odor neutralizer...I fear it will still stink weeks from now.

So, does anybody have any tips for eliminating the smoke stench? I will probably be washing walls tomorrow. Any thoughts would be appreciated.:)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if baking soda would help. It would probably have to be sprinkled liberally and left awhile. If that kitchen really reeks, just covering the bottom of the sink probably won't be enuf. Maybe, a couple of cookie sheets ...

DW is a real believer in soda in the fridge. She tends to get another box and just shove it in! It would not surprise me if there are 4 or 5 boxes of Arm & Hammer in there.

She is not a believer in pop-up toasters. Along with my dishwasher, it was one of those things left unused, after she showed up. The dishwasher wouldn't cycle after sitting for a couple of years. I don't know what happened to my toaster. Its place on the counter was taken by her toaster oven. She never burns things - I burn 30-50% of what I put in there!

By the way, if you can get away from the diesel and gasoline fumes, have you ever noticed that downtown area of American cities smell of burnt toast every morning?

;) Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
This morning I made some toast, got distracted and left the kitchen. This is important- you cannot walk away from our toaster, it has to be manually popped up....

So, 10, or maybe it was 15, minutes later I come back in and ~ !! !!Holy Smoke!! The house was full of smoke to within 2 feet of the floor! It was so thick I had trouble seeing to the other side of the room. :eek:
Now I generally make bread cringe when it sees me getting ready to put it under a broiler or in the toaster, but I have never done such a fine cremation job on 2 slices of bread as I did this morning. I think I set a new Universe record.
Happily the neighbors didn't call the fire dept. when I opened every door and window in the house and the smoke rolled out in giant waves.
With all the exhaust fans and the ceiling fan on high I got it cleared out pretty good in about a half an hour, (and the house was down to 54 degrees).

But it still reeks in here. I have washed all the couch pillows and the curtains, and sprayed the non washables with a odor neutralizer...I fear it will still stink weeks from now.

So, does anybody have any tips for eliminating the smoke stench? I will probably be washing walls tomorrow. Any thoughts would be appreciated.:)

Wow, that would be scary! No idea how to fix it though.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

ick! washing down every surface is a ton of work. i mistakenly rented an apartment where the previous tennant was a heavy smoker. i thought it just needed to be aired out. ended up washing everything, having the carpets cleaned again, used a few gallons of febreeze and a roller to get the walls and ceiling. still didn't do enough to get rid of the stench. when i finally moved out i left my old futon behind it wasn't ever going to not stink again... :(

a one-time event you have a much better chance of it eventually fading.

air out the house again.

get rid of that toaster.

and where were your smoke detectors? those should have been working!!!!! *worried*

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of good ideas already. One thing that you can do is wash hard surfaces with a diluted vinegar solution. Floors cabinets and walls of necessary. I hope it just leaves on its own lol, but it usually needs to be coaxed. Maybe toaster smoke is easier to get rid of, than say your normal range smoke.

Latest posts