Any handy tips for getting rid of smoke smell?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
IF you have access to it, Young Living essential oil blend called Purification GOBBLES up odors. I keep it diffusing in the cat's room to remove the litter box smell and mix it with baking soda to make carpet freshener.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
This morning I made some toast, got distracted and left the kitchen. This is important- you cannot walk away from our toaster, it has to be manually popped up....

So, 10, or maybe it was 15, minutes later I come back in and ~ !! !!Holy Smoke!! The house was full of smoke to within 2 feet of the floor! It was so thick I had trouble seeing to the other side of the room. :eek:
Now I generally make bread cringe when it sees me getting ready to put it under a broiler or in the toaster, but I have never done such a fine cremation job on 2 slices of bread as I did this morning. I think I set a new Universe record.
Happily the neighbors didn't call the fire dept. when I opened every door and window in the house and the smoke rolled out in giant waves.
With all the exhaust fans and the ceiling fan on high I got it cleared out pretty good in about a half an hour, (and the house was down to 54 degrees).

But it still reeks in here. I have washed all the couch pillows and the curtains, and sprayed the non washables with a odor neutralizer...I fear it will still stink weeks from now.

So, does anybody have any tips for eliminating the smoke stench? I will probably be washing walls tomorrow. Any thoughts would be appreciated.:)
THROW OUT THAT TOASTER!!!! Can you imagine the headlines-DEATH BY TOAST?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
IF you have access to it, Young Living essential oil blend called Purification GOBBLES up odors. I keep it diffusing in the cat's room to remove the litter box smell and mix it with baking soda to make carpet freshener.

Oh, I think I have that blend. Why do I never think to turn to the oils first??

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
ick! washing down every surface is a ton of work. i mistakenly rented an apartment where the previous tenant was a heavy smoker. i thought it just needed to be aired out. ended up washing everything, having the carpets cleaned again, used a few gallons of febreeze and a roller to get the walls and ceiling. still didn't do enough to get rid of the stench. when i finally moved out i left my old futon behind it wasn't ever going to not stink again... :(

a one-time event you have a much better chance of it eventually fading.

air out the house again.

get rid of that toaster.

and where were your smoke detectors? those should have been working!!!!! *worried*
Best advice!!! You are too fussy. Just buy an expensive candle, light it when you are in the kitchen, then blow it out. When the weather moderates air out the house.
https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Smoke-Smell-out-of-Your-House
Bake something yummy...like lasagne...and then you will be smelling THAT, instead.

Latest posts