Any one else noticing a disturbing lack of quality fresh fruit, and healthy nursery plants?

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have noticed in my area, there seems to be a severe lack in the quality of fresh fruits, especially the tomatoes, and strawberries at grocery stores, as well as the quality, health,selection and even presence of nursery plants such as tomatoes, blueberries,peppers, melons, and most importantly strawberries. Even the roses don't look their best. Usually, around this time the local nurseries, lowes, walmart, and home depot are brimming with fabulous array of flowers, drawing you to the parking lot, where the aroma of roses, and herbs overtake you, forcing you into the store where you are met with a a large selection, of healthy blueberries,grapes,fruit trees, strawberries, and tomatoes :drool and anything else you could want, usually both a frustrating and pleasant experience.:barnie:love

Yesterday I went two three places and stopped by two others, (The two others were closed, but because it is outdoors you can still stop and have quick peek through the isles.) :D And I have noticed that every body has the same five varieties of tomatoes, all large red,or roma varieties. No orange, yellow, cherry, purple, and striped varieties. Even the peppers, which usually have dozens of colors and types, are down to a few colors and shapes. The blueberries look terrible, and are scrawny week little things, the grapes look better, but not by much, and I have only seen a few fruit trees. But worst of all, the strawberries, which is what I came for, were nearly non existant. Usually there are gallon, and quart containers with large healthy flowering strawberries. So far between the five places I looked, a found about ten. Some root bundles ( I don't know what you actually call them) which wont give me a lot like of berries this year like a started plant would. And a six very unhealthy tiny strawberries in starter packs. :idunno The only things in abundance are basil, parsley, and lemon balm.
Is any body else having this problem?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would guess it has a lot to do with the weather in the states those plants are grown in. Even if they are in greenhouses, days and days of cloudy weather might retard healthy growth.
Sadly, the garden store where I live that used to carry lots of odd-ball tomatoes in single pots went out of business. I sure miss them.
Wishin' if you have any independent garden stores in your area--Mom and Pop type greenhouses, etc, you may find better variety. Also, the farmers' markets around here carry bedding plants in the spring.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you've just stumbled upon next year's side business ..... You could be the ONLY provider of 'artisan' tomatoes in your area!!!!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see a ton of their old stock that they wintered over and trying to make good money off half dead junk....Lowes and walmart have tons of big tomato plants and other veggies

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The two others I visited were small locally owned greenhouses. I am beginning to think you are right cane.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have noticed in my area, there seems to be a severe lack in the quality of fresh fruits, especially the tomatoes, and strawberries at grocery stores, as well as the quality, health,selection and even presence of nursery plants . . . I have noticed that every body has the same five varieties of tomatoes, all large red,or roma varieties. No orange, yellow, cherry, purple, and striped varieties. Even the peppers, which usually have dozens of colors and types, are down to a few colors and shapes. . . ?

I'm often frustrated with the seed racks in the garden center. I'm not even inclined to look at the racks in the big box stores.

The garden center may have seeds on display from a half-dozen companies. Let's say I'm in there for eggplant seed and I have tried Black Beauty and it didn't do well in my garden. In fact, I question whether it does well in any garden in the county.

What are my choices? A half-dozen packets of Black Beauty eggplant seed from 6 different companies!

Steve

:barnie

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is why we are growing our own. While many of us can't grow everything we want, we sure can make up for what the grocery store doesn't have. When you can go out in your garden and pick what's-for-supper, no grocery store can compare.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't been looking this year yet. A week from tomorrow I'll go to a plant sale by a guy who sells open pollinated plants to get what I can, then I'll visit a local mom & pop garden store to finish if I can. I doubt I'll get anything at a big box store. I usually don't.

I did notice last summer that all the plants in Lowe's and Walmart here are from Bonnie Plants. What varieties one had, the other had. What one didn't have the other didn't have.

Latest posts