Any other tips?

Wendy Dickerson

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I hate grasses in the lawn. I had talked with lawn maintenance services in Mississauga. Most people have too much lawn because they don't know what else to plant there. The green grass is more of a pain than it's worth. A nice lawn requires a lot of maintenance: watering, cutting, weeding and trimming. There are several ground coverings in multiple shades of green. Though they aren't as versatile as grass, they certainly look the part while requiring much less attention. Also try for blue sedge, creeping Jenny or creeping thyme even though they look like grass from afar, they never need any mowing. If you hate grasses in your lawn, you can try these methods.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that several folks on TEG have come to that conclusion and are turning as much lawn as possible into gardens of one kind or another.
Personally, I've got a large back lawn that is shrinking every year. The flower bed is creeping in from the east, the chicken coop and veggi garden are creeping in from the south and west, and the mulched sitting area is (hopefully) going to expand greatly this year from the north. The dogs' area is getting smaller and smaller... good thing they are getting so old that they don't seem to really care - they want to be inside on their beds more and more anyway.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yep I refer to it as "yard". There is enough room for my kids to run, the dog to run, and play. Anything that will hurt your foot is dealt with otherwise its just mowed to a reasonable height to keep it greenish. Could be dandelions, could be creeping jenny, could be Kentucky blue grass. I don't feed the yard, I just keep it tamed enough so nobody gets lost when they go out.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep I refer to it as "yard". There is enough room for my kids to run, the dog to run, and play. Anything that will hurt your foot is dealt with otherwise its just mowed to a reasonable height to keep it greenish. Could be dandelions, could be creeping jenny, could be Kentucky blue grass. I don't feed the yard, I just keep it tamed enough so nobody gets lost when they go out.

yes, cut it with a mulching mower regularly it won't ever need fertilizer and what the mowing selects for...

not much grassy area left here and i'd love to get rid of it all. the amount of work to mow it is about how much work it would take to mulch it or use it as garden space (more beans or flowers :) ).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
there are some fine frondy kinds of yarrow which work very well for lawns if you can tolerate the smell of them when mowing. they are comfortable to walk on with bare feet and stay green even during the dryest parts of the summer.

we also have thymes of several types, mints, etc. which wander around the grassy spots. there's a few weeds which i wish we'd not ever introduced (seed packets and wildflower seed mixes)... they've been a lot of work to try to keep out of the other garden spaces and to weed them from those they've invaded. i use other plants when possible to smother them (strawberries, buckwheat, alfalfa, trefoil, clovers, plantains, ...)

Michaltom

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to get my lawn cleared neatly. Its covered with tape grass. Are there any suggestions??

Latest posts