Any Summer Squash experts???

new2gardening

Leafing Out
Reaction score
This is my first garden. How do I know when the squash is ripe and ready to be picked?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This all depends on the specific variety but most summer squash (zucchini and yellow crookneck) should be harvested when they are about 6 inches long. Harvest them when they are young and still tender. Generally speaking, the more you harvest the more prolific the plant will produce.

Good luck!

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I also pick my squash when young and tender. It can/will get too large overnight- :D -If I am going to miss a day of picking, I will pick it smaller rather than waiting!

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Summer squashes you pick when they are small, like 6 inches for the best flavor. Winter squashes you wait till your nail can't make a big dent or hole into them. If you are in a cool area, and just starting your winter squash, make sure you try not to get "long" season stuff unless you have lots of hot weather.

As a side note... let a zucchini go (a summer squash) and you'll end up with a plant with one base ball bat sized fruit...

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Congratulations on your first garden! :coolsun

I also pick summer squash small, for eating. Did you know that the flowers are edible, too? :)

SilkieChicken, we've done that. When my son was small he wanted to let his zuchinni grow, and was very proud of the, Zuke that ate Manhattan! It was almost as large as he was! lol! :D

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tutter said:
I also pick summer squash small, for eating. Did you know that the flowers are edible, too? :)
I really enjoy the zucchini flowers fried up with a little garlic, and salt and pepper.A lot of people say they taste like oysters, and I can taste a slight resemblance. Definitely worth trying if you are in to exotic eating.:p

I usually let my zucchini get to about 10-12", as they are still tender, and tasty, and can feed two or three people. Not as the main meal of course, but as a veggie dish with it.

new2gardening

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for your replies. I have a few that should have or can be picked. Good luck to everyone with your gardens.

KierBri

Sprout
Reaction score
i make A LOT of zucchini bread. i've found that if i let them get big, 12"-14"+, they have a higher water content which makes for a moister (not sure if that's a word....) bread. my recipe calls for 2 C shredded, i normaly cook 3 breads out of 1 zuke. the breads freeze wonderfuly.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Zucchini bread is the best thing to do with the giant ones.

We also make them stuffed. We cut the top of the zucchini off lengthwise and take out the insides. We get some ground beef, the zucchini we took out, bell peppers, tomatoes, corn and whatever else lying around. Fry it up. Mix in a can of tomato sauce and stuff it into the zucchini. Bake it for about 20 minutes at 375 then cover in cheese. It's kind like a zucchini meatloaf.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I made something very much like that, for the first time, in the 80's OaklandCityFarmer.

I think your version sounds delicious! :)

Latest posts