Any Summer Squash experts???

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We make slumgullion out of our squash! Look forward to it each year and this year I intend to can or freeze it so I can have some this winter!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Skillet, preferably iron. Chop up red tomatoes, green tomatoes, yellow squash, zuccini, sweet peppers, hot peppers (optional), sweet corn, onions, seasoning (your choice). Add corn meal. Let mixture cook down and simmer until veggies are fork tender. It will look like someone's recycled lunch but it taste like pure heaven. Eat by itself, over pasta, potatoes, biscuits, bread, etc. I've never added meat but I bet it would go well with venison! Just gotta try this and let me know what you think... :happy_flower

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes, it's quite easy to be quickly overrun with zukes! But, it just wouldn't feel like summer if it wasn't!

One year we had so many that we ended up creating a zucchini burrito filling that was pretty tasty.

2 lbs diced zucchini
1 sm. onion - diced
vegetable oil
Corn (we used a can, but if you have fresh, all the better)
1/4 t. chili powder
1/2 t. ground cumin
2 Serrano peppers - roasted on the BBQ, seeded, chopped.
1/2 c. milk
1 can black beans (or equivalent)
salt/pepper to taste
tortillas
prepared rice
cilantro
cheese
Salsa

Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion and zukes. Saute for 8 minutes.
Add corn, spices, black beans, peppers, and milk. Cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
Serve in tortillas with cilantro, cheese, salsa, and rice.

I know the milk seems like an odd ingredient, but it helps to bind and blend the ingredients and flavors. If you wanted to do a vegan version of this recipe, you could use a tomato sauce base instead and skip the cheese topping.

Latest posts