Any tips on growing ginger and galangal?

ripper039

Sprout
Reaction score
Sounds like your Galangal is going to be a nice plant. It will grow many side shoots before you know it. I repotted my container Galangal that was in a 20" round container a few months ago, it was so filled that I had a hard time getting the Galangal out. I now have 2 huge containers of it plus one in the ground in full sun. I put the potted ones in the shade to recover. I noticed they get taller in the shade 4 ft but the one in full sun in the ground is only 2 ft tall but growing nicely. I bought some fresh Galangal root from the asian market here in Banning and put it in a bowl covering the bottom half with water. It grew a shoot and now I have it in soil in the house. I am going to compare it with mine to see if it is the same Greater Galangal. I have read somewhere that somebody grew one from a fresh rhizome and kept it in the house, it never had any sunlight and he was able to harvest Galangal as a houseplant. Earlier this Spring I bought a Kaffir Lime Tree in a 10 gallon container. It flowered and has some limes on it. The limes have a brain like pattern on them. I use the leaves for cooking Indonesian and Thai food. I love Galangal and Kaffir Lime leaves.