Any Uses For Crab Apple ?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
We used another term for that but since this is a family forum I won't repeat it.

You never used real apples as weapons? What a deprived childhood.

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We had the golfball sized crabapples when I was a kid. I remember Mom making spiced crabapples with Red Hots, super good! I bet your smaller ones would work even better, no dribbles.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know of a park with a crabapple grove and a sign designating it as such. However, there is one tree with fruit bigger than golfballs. A few times I was there the right week and would fill my pockets with the fruit. Because - they were as tasty as most any eating apple :).

There is now a volunteer sapling beside the wild plum at the big veggie garden. I didn't notice it until I was searching that plum for a remaining fruit. There was about 5 this year and I missed them until after they had fallen. Missed the memories of a childhood with wild plum jam, @aftermidnight ;).

The 3 or 4 fruit on the sapling caught my eye, altho wrong color. It's a crabapple! tttTTartt!

'teve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ahhh, plum jam, but it has to be damson plum jam like my gran used to make.:drool.
Does anyone grow damson plums any more, not around here and this is a plum you never see in supermarkets :(.

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No. They were Klamath plums, from southern Oregon, @aftermidnight ;).

Dad would go hunting with Grover, his good friend and a former resident of Lakeview, in a kinda wild part of Oregon. Even if he didn't bring home a deer, he would have a couple of buckets of wild plums.

What that tree is doing up here, I don't know. It fails each year to make many plums after flowering profusely. I think that daylight hours prompts it to flower but it's too early in this location, about 400+ miles too far north. Frost kills the fruit.

Klamath Falls and Lakeview are plenty high and cold but so far south, the flowering probably occurs at the correct time.

Steve

Latest posts