Anybody with advice on vegetation killer?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seems to me the cure would be to not have any expose, barren ground there. Why not solarize the area first with black plastic, water and sun; remove the plastic and put down a healthy, thick layer of wood chips there? Weed seeds fall on wood chips and either don't grow or have shallow rooting systems that are easily pulled up.

Overuse of pastures, not regularly mowing them to keep pasture healthy, etc. can lead to these kinds of weeds, so why not take up a more sustainable pasture management strategy to keep the weeds gone instead of fighting them when they appear?

The suggestion of having other types of herbivores rotating through the pasture can also help keep different species that horses won't eat down. Hair sheep are excellent for this and are a low fuss animal...they eat both graze and browse and they rarely pick around things(they will mow everything and sort what they don't want as they do so, with the unwanted coming out the side of their mouths and the wanted staying in), but if they do pick around, the regular mowing of the pasture will clip them down anyway before they can seed.

Pasture management is going to keep better feed and better soils available for your horses and, in the long run, pay off way more in many ways than the short term solution of poisoning noxious weeds. Those weeds are there for a reason and there's a reason you don't see them in some pastures and you see them in others....some pastures are managed and some are merely used.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to use black plastic, cardboard or even newspapers to solarize a horse pasture or a fence line on any type of acreage ? Between the wind and the horses ( to name only 2 ) NOT going to happen ! Clipping pastures works only on some types of weeds, but many weeds just grow and produce seeds BELOW the clip height. I have 20 acres in well managed pastures for my mares and foals and it costs me $$$$ every year to keep the pasture grasses and clovers in even lush condition as well as keep it as free of weeds as possible. Come fall there are thousands of blackbirds ( and English Sparrows in, on, and around buildings) that gather in huge flocks and come evening they roost on power lines and centuries old oak trees. They also poop a lot and when they do there are thousands of seeds in their droppings that land in the pasture . Every year, I have a huge invasion of all types of weeds such as stinging nettle, star thistle ( paralyses the lower jaw of horses and eventually the horse starves to death) , Australion puncture wine ( this weed has runners that hugs the ground ), johnson grass, tumble weeds, etc.. Expensive yearly battle !

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, of course, one would use common sense and remove the horses during the necessary time to solarize and use pins or weights for the plastic. From the pic I saw, the area seems pretty small unless it's just representative of a much,much more extensive problem and area.

Maybe it's just a question of working smarter and not harder. Have you even tried to use other livestock on that pasture along with horses? Horses aren't too well known for conditioning a pasture like other, smaller, livestock. They are heavy, pug the grass crowns and break them~especially if allowed to be on the pasture in winter months, compact the ground and don't eat the pasture as clean as sheep or meat goats would.

Have you tried effective pasture rotation and cutting some pasture for hay for a couple of years before using it in the rotation again? Sometimes just keeping the livestock off and mowing often helps condition a pasture and restores the grasses vs. weeds.

Maybe a combination of both for greater affect. Birds live everywhere, weeds are everywhere, everyone deals with much the same issues and some have learned to manage it without throwing tons of money on it, so it can be done...somehow and some way.

As much as I'm not too fond of Joel Salatin, the man knows his pasture and it might be advisable to read his book(s) on managing pasture. I've seen his pasture first hand and it's pretty impressive, even if the man himself is not so much.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
There s nothing cuter then baby goats !! A farm was selling bottle babies, they had extra long hanging ears, I fell in love with the photos .
Caution, @Nyboy! Do not let them call your name or follow you home. Loving the photos is a great alternative to getting your own edible lawnmowers.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was born and raised on a farm, my father was a Veterinarian, I have owned a horse breeding ranch for 37 years and used common sense gleaned from the school of hard knocks. While in High School I worked at UCD grading, forming irrigation ditches and banks, seeding, pasture grasses, and irrigating pastures for horses, sheep, and cattle. I also worked at the University vegetable research crops farm. I then worked for some University of Cal. Davis PhD. Professors and Authors of Animal Science course book " Animal Agriculture - The Biology, Husbandry and Use of Domestic Animals" copywrite 1974,1980 by W.H. Freeeman and co. Dr. H.H. Cole ( worked for him for many years ) and W.N. Garrett. I also worked for various Professors at Dept. of Animal Science , UCD -- J. Warren Evans ( horses), W.C. Weir (sheep ) , Dr. Clegg ( sheep ), Dr. Gregory ( dwarf cattle ) , Dr. Storemont ( serology ) , Dr. Dungworth , et. al.ataff as well as PhD candidates ( Vet. Pathology ), Dr. Wheat, ( Vet.- World authority for horse leg surgery ) , Dr. C.W. Schabe ( management and disease - Vet. Med.). I also had quite a few friends and researchers from all over the world that worked for Dow Chemical Agricultural Research Farms for large BBQ's at my ranch. I follow and will stick with the University Professors as my consultants for animal, housing, feed, Vet. care and welfare, feed and pasture management rather than Joel Salatin and his book. So, what do I know ? :hu
Well, of course, one would use common sense and remove the horses during the necessary time to solarize and use pins or weights for the plastic. From the pic I saw, the area seems pretty small unless it's just representative of a much,much more extensive problem and area.

Maybe it's just a question of working smarter and not harder. Have you even tried to use other livestock on that pasture along with horses? Horses aren't too well known for conditioning a pasture like other, smaller, livestock. They are heavy, pug the grass crowns and break them~especially if allowed to be on the pasture in winter months, compact the ground and don't eat the pasture as clean as sheep or meat goats would.

Have you tried effective pasture rotation and cutting some pasture for hay for a couple of years before using it in the rotation again? Sometimes just keeping the livestock off and mowing often helps condition a pasture and restores the grasses vs. weeds.

Maybe a combination of both for greater affect. Birds live everywhere, weeds are everywhere, everyone deals with much the same issues and some have learned to manage it without throwing tons of money on it, so it can be done...somehow and some way.

As much as I'm not too fond of Joel Salatin, the man knows his pasture and it might be advisable to read his book(s) on managing pasture. I've seen his pasture first hand and it's pretty impressive, even if the man himself is not so much.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm My man, you have been brain washed. Everyone knows that when you are in harmony with nature and God; weeds, insects diseases are gone. Learn harmony, peace and tranquility.

For those of us that believe in Bible, we realize IF we garden, weeds will be there.

I enjoy reading different approaches but there is no easy button-except at Staples.....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was born and raised on a farm, my father was a Veterinarian, I have owned a horse breeding ranch for 37 years and used common sense gleaned from the school of hard knocks. While in High School I worked at UCD grading, forming irrigation ditches and banks, seeding, pasture grasses, and irrigating pastures for horses, sheep, and cattle. I also worked at the University vegetable research crops farm. I then worked for some University of Cal. Davis PhD. Professors and Authors of Animal Science course book " Animal Agriculture - The Biology, Husbandry and Use of Domestic Animals" copywrite 1974,1980 by W.H. Freeeman and co. Dr. H.H. Cole ( worked for him for many years ) and W.N. Garrett. I also worked for various Professors at Dept. of Animal Science , UCD -- J. Warren Evans ( horses), W.C. Weir (sheep ) , Dr. Clegg ( sheep ), Dr. Gregory ( dwarf cattle ) , Dr. Storemont ( serology ) , Dr. Dungworth , et. al.ataff as well as PhD candidates ( Vet. Pathology ), Dr. Wheat, ( Vet.- World authority for horse leg surgery ) , Dr. C.W. Schabe ( management and disease - Vet. Med.). I also had quite a few friends and researchers from all over the world that worked for Dow Chemical Agricultural Research Farms for large BBQ's at my ranch. I follow and will stick with the University Professors as my consultants for animal, housing, feed, Vet. care and welfare, feed and pasture management rather than Joel Salatin and his book. So, what do I know ? :hu

Well, it seems you have tried everything ELSE but Salatin's books and are still failing at it, so maybe it's time to switch tactics? ;)

You know what they say....the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over, while expecting different results. Your list of credentials is impressive and your acquaintances even more so....but one thing I've learned in this world~there are always more things to learn, no matter how much I think I know.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm My man, you have been brain washed. Everyone knows that when you are in harmony with nature and God; weeds, insects diseases are gone. Learn harmony, peace and tranquility.

For those of us that believe in Bible, we realize IF we garden, weeds will be there.

I enjoy reading different approaches but there is no easy button-except at Staples.....

I don't recall anyone saying things are easy, nor referring to a button. Folks come here for advice or to complain about what they are doing isn't working and other people try to help or offer alternatives. Take it or leave it folks, it's all free, but no need to be snide or offensive over it. Folks just trying to help.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seems to me the cure would be to not have any expose, barren ground there. Why not solarize the area first with black plastic, water and sun; remove the plastic and put down a healthy, thick layer of wood chips there? Weed seeds fall on wood chips and either don't grow or have shallow rooting systems that are easily pulled up.

Overuse of pastures, not regularly mowing them to keep pasture healthy, etc. can lead to these kinds of weeds, so why not take up a more sustainable pasture management strategy to keep the weeds gone instead of fighting them when they appear?

The suggestion of having other types of herbivores rotating through the pasture can also help keep different species that horses won't eat down. Hair sheep are excellent for this and are a low fuss animal...they eat both graze and browse and they rarely pick around things(they will mow everything and sort what they don't want as they do so, with the unwanted coming out the side of their mouths and the wanted staying in), but if they do pick around, the regular mowing of the pasture will clip them down anyway before they can seed.

Pasture management is going to keep better feed and better soils available for your horses and, in the long run, pay off way more in many ways than the short term solution of poisoning noxious weeds. Those weeds are there for a reason and there's a reason you don't see them in some pastures and you see them in others....some pastures are managed and some are merely used.
Re-read this post. Maybe you didn't mean this the way it came off (at least to me). People that do manage their pastures still fight weeds on a regular basis. It is not anything they are doing wrong.

Latest posts