Anyone ever used these?

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
shelleyd2008 said:
http://henbogle.wordpress.com/2008/07/23/constructing-a-pvc-hoophouse-for-the-home-garden/

It's a 'hoop' hot house, similar to the PVC hoop chicken tractors shown on BYC. They look very easy to make!

Where would I get the materials, like the cover and such? Would anything grow in the winter if it were inside one of these?
I built something similar. Mine is specifically recommended as a greenhouse OR chicken coop. SO yes, certainly "something" will grow in it if you do your part.

What did you have in mind to grow? Some plants are bound to do better than others. The light is less intense in winter and obviously the conditions inside the greenhouse are going to be cool, unless you add supplemental heat. Basically, what you have there is an oversize cloche or cold frame. In zone 7, that should suffice. There are TWO goals here:

1. To prevent the soil from getting too cold/freezing
2. To keep air temps in an acceptable range.

This points at cool loving crops, those that we generally consider to be spring and fall plants. Some choices are the many brassicas, lettuces and other saladings, root crops, peas, beans... most anything but traditional "summer" plants: tomatoes, eggplant, melons/cukes/marrows, okra and peppers. The first three are usual favorites in small frame houses.

Were it me, I'd add a $20 milk house heater w/ thermostat and a bank of cheap grow lights on a timer. Nothing fancy or costly, mind you. Just enough to augment the weak winter light and add a little heat. If these things cost more than $50, you've spent too much.

Where to get the cover? 10-20 mil plastic should do for a season. Its not very eco-friendly, but it works. I've used it.
You can also buy more resilient, purpose designed greenhouse plastic.
Just google 'greenhouse covers, covering, supplies' etc and your local city's name. You can surely find someone within easy distance that sells it.
I did a dogpile search in my area and found pages of people who either sell it - or can tell me where I can get it.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not sure how cold you get, but you could always use one that is fairly air-tight and also use row covers over your crops. That way you would have twice as much insulation. Both greenhouse plastic and row covers can be ordered from greenhouse supply companies. Good luck!

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Shelley,

I just posted this over in "fruits and veggies" but I thought you might find it helpful too...

I just finished reading Eliot Coleman's "The Winter Harvest Handbook" and can't recommend it highly enough!!! I got it from the library.

His farm is in Maine and I was just amazed at their winter harvest. I am anxious to try (on a much smaller scale of course!) some things around here. :D

Regards,

Kathy

Latest posts